The former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Malam Nuhu Ribadu is in the news again. Ribadu who flew the flag of the Action Congress of Nigeria in the April 2011 Presidential elections has been appointed by the Federal Government to chair the Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force. Others appointed with him include Steve Oronsaye, Malam Abba Kyari and Olisa Agbakoba SAN.
The appointment is coming on the heels of the uncovered rot in the petroleum sector.
The appointment was announced via a statement from the Ministry of Petroleum on Tuesday. The statement reads inter alia:
“Consistent with the policies and promises of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan’s Administration, and underpinned by the yearnings of the people of Nigeria for transparency in the Petroleum Industry, the Honourable Minister of Petroleum Resources has set up a Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force designed to enhance probity and accountability in operations of the Petroleum Industry.
The Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force, whose membership is listed below, is charged with the following terms of reference:
Terms of Reference
1. To work with consultants and experts to determine and verify all petroleum upstream and downstream revenues (taxes, royalties, etc.) due and payable to the Federal Government of Nigeria;
2. To take all necessary steps to collect all debts due and owing; to obtain agreements and enforce payment terms by all oil industry operators;
3. To design a cross debt matrix between all Agencies and Parastatals of the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources;
4. To develop an automated platform to enable effective tracking, monitoring, and online validation of income and debt drivers of all Parastatals and Agencies in the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources;
5. To work with world-class consultants to integrate systems and technology across the production chain to determine and monitor crude oil production and exports, ensuring at all times, the integrity of payments to the Federal Government of Nigeria; and,
6. To submit monthly reports for ministerial review and further action.
1. Mallam Nuhu Ribadu – Chairman
2. Mr. Steve Oronsaye – Dep. Chairman
3. Mallam Abba Kyari – Member
4. Ms. Benedicta Molokwu – Member
5. Mr. Supo Sasore, SAN – Member
6. Mr. Tony Idigbe, SAN – Member
7. Mr. Anthony George-Ikoli, SAN – Member
8. Dr. (Mrs.) Omolara Akanji – Member
9. Mr. Olisa Agbakoba, SAN – Member
10. Mr. Ituah Ighodalo – Member
11. Mr. Bon Otti – Member
12. Prof. Olusegun Okunnu – Member
13. Mallam Samaila Zubairu – Member
14. Mr.Ignatius Adegunle – Member
15. Mr. Gerald Ilukwe – Member
16. Rep. of FIRS – Ex-Officio
17. Rep. of FMF Incorporated – Ex-Officio