Days after the Minister for Defence and the National Security Adviser were sacked by the President; the Group Managing Director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation NNPC, Austen Oniwon too has been given the boot. A successor has been announced in person of Engineer Andrew Yakubu, while a new management team was also announced for the corporation. All members of the Oniwon led management team have been asked to proceed on retirement.
Yakubu graduated from the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria as a Chemical Engineer in 1979 and he joined the NNPC a year after. He has served in various capacities including the Managing Director of the Warri Refining and Petrochemicals Company.
According to Dr. Reuben Abati, the President’s spokesperson, the new appointments are to further strengthen the ongoing reforms in the petroleum sector. Many Nigerians however know that Oniwon’s sack can barely be divorced from the role played by the NNPC under his watch in the fuel subsidy scandal that blew open earlier in the year.
The NNPC’s new management comprises of
- Engineer Andrew Yakubu Group Managing Director
- Mr. Bernard O.N. Otti Group Executive Director (Finance and Accounts)
- Engineer Abiye Membere Group Executive Director (Exploration and Production)
- Dr. Peter S. Nmadu Group Executive Director (Corporate Services)
- Engineer Anthony Ogbuigwe Group Executive Director (Refineries & Petrochemicals)
- Dr. Attahir B. Yusuf Group Executive Director (Commercial & Investments)
- Dr. David Ige Group Executive Director (Gas & Power)