President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday named billionaire businessman, Aliko Dangote and Olisa Agbakoba as co-chairmen of the National Committee on Flood Relief and Rehabilitation. The Committee is to raise funds in support of Government’s efforts to provide urgent relief for victims of recent floods across the country. The President also announced Dr. Mike Adenuga Jnr as the Chief Fund Mobilizer of the Committee. In his 7-minute broadcast on Tuesday morning, the President disclosed that other members of the committee would be announced immediately after.
He also announced monetary aids for the affected states which were divided into categories. The states and government agencies involved in flood disaster management will receive direct financial assistance of up to N 17.6 billion from the Federal Government.
A statement from the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati gave the full list of the members of the committee as follows:
1. Alhaji Aliko Dangote – Co-Chairman
2. Mr. Olisa Agbakoba – Co-Chairman
3. Dr. Mike Adenuga Jnr. – Chief Fund Mobilizer
4. Alhaji Karami Isiaku Rabiu – Member
5. Alhaji Mohammed Indimi – Member
6. Ngo Hannatu Cholum – Member
7. Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija – Member
8. Prof. Dora Akunyili – Member
9. Mr. Tony Elumelu – Member
10. Secretary-General, Nigerian Red Cross – Member
11. Representative of C.A.N. – Member
12. Representative of N.S.C.I.A. – Member
13. Representative of the UNDP – Member
14. Representative of the European Union – Member
15. Representative of DFID – Member
16. Representative of USAID – Member
17. Perm. Sec., Fed. Ministry of Environment – Member
18. Perm. Sec., Fed. Min. of Water Resources – Member
19. Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Works – Member
20. Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Agriculture – Member
21. Perm. Sec. Federal Ministry of Health – Member
22. Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Finance – Member
23. Perm. Sec., Fed. Ministry of National Planning – Member
24. Director-General, NEMA – Member
25. Ag. Commissioner, National Commission for Refugees – Member
26. Perm. Sec., Ecological Funds Office – Member
27. Chairman, Senate Committee on Special Duties – Member
28. Chairman, House Committee on Environment – Member
29. Rep., Nigerian Union of Journalists – Member
30. Rep., National Council of Women’s Societies – Member
31. Mr. Tunde Lemo, (Representing the CBN) – Member
32. Ms. Fatima Wali – Member
33. Mr. Frank Nweke Jnr. – Member
34. Senator Florence Ita-Giwa – Member
The Committee has been given the mandate to raise funds to complement government’s resources for the provision of relief to flood victims across the country and the post-impact rehabilitation of affected persons and communities.
The Committee, which is also expected to advise government on the judicious utilization of funds raised, has been authorized by President Jonathan to co-opt any other persons or organizations that it may find useful in carrying out its assignment.
The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation will provide a secretariat for the Committee.
It has been given one year to conclude its task.