Gentle reminder to be security conscious. Security Update for Lagos: There has been a notable increase in criminal activities particularly carjacking, traffic robberies and kidnappings in Lagos. Two kidnap incidents were reported at Victoria Island and Apapa areas last week.
The ongoing demolition of illegal structures around the Makoko area of Lagos mainland may have also contributed to the increase in violent crimes in the area and adjoining areas – Ebute Metta, Iwaya, Yaba and Surulere. Other dangerous spots include Ikeja, Along Lagos – Abeokuta Expressway, Lagos axis of Lagos- Ibadan Expressway,
Badagry Expressway Apapa, Iyana-Oworo,
Ketu. Lekki axis up to Ajah.
Lagos Island -
Apongbon and Bar Beach. Criminal activities are however, prevalent at night time.
People are advised to be more security conscious and apply the following security recommendations:
▪ Avoid night journeys
▪ Plan your trips ahead of time and stay alert while driving, noting vehicles behind and ahead of you
▪ While in traffic, wind up car windows and lock the doors
▪ Avoid shopping in traffic
▪ Be wary of people with flat tyres or broken down vehicles along the highways and parking lots of shopping malls.
▪ Do not take taxis or commercial motorbikes in front of banks
▪ Do not stop to pick up passengers while driving, especially on highways
▪ Keep your phones, laptops and bags out of sight
▪ Watch out for motorbikes (Okada) at all times
▪ Do not make or receive calls while driving