The Joint Task Force (JTF) in Borno State, Operation Restore Hope has debunked claims that it has restored GSM networks to Maiduguri and other parts of the state.
Following the return of mobile network operations to Yobe and Adamawa States last week, there were reports that the same had taken effect in Borno State too. Subscribers in parts of Yobe State were able to make a few calls in the early hours of Friday.
The spokesman of the JTF, Lt Col Sagir Musa disclosed to journalists during an interactive session in Maiduguri that mobile phone services have not been restored in the state. He said “yes, it is normal for the public to make such complaints and criticisms about the non-return of GSM services to Maiduguri or Borno State when there is no network service. There is nothing wrong with that. But the public should note that we the JTF in Maiduguri have no right to restore the GSM network services and we are not the one that stopped the services.
It is the defence headquarters that did that. We don’t have a say. You can quote me anywhere. The issue of GSM network services is a high level issue that only the defence headquarters can make announcement as to the restoration of GSM network services, not Maiduguri JTF.”
Expatiating on the reason for the ability of some subscribers to access network last week, Lt Col Sagir said “the few hours network that people of Maiduguri got last Friday morning was as a result of fluctuation from Damaturu which spilled over to Maiduguri for just few hours before they noticed it and rectified the problem.”
It is believed that the Boko Haram terrorist organisation uses mobile phones to plan and coordinate attacks, hence the stoppage of phone network operations in order to enable the military effectively combat the group.