An Egyptian court on Wednesday ordered the release of the country’s disgraced former President, Hosni Mubarak. According to Mubarak’s lawyer, Fareed el-Deeb, he could be freed from prison on Thursday.
The court ordered his release in a corruption case that was the last remaining legal grounds for his detention. “The court decided to release him,” he told reporters as he left a court in Cairo. When he was asked when he was asked when the release would be effected, he said “maybe tomorrow.”
85 year-old Mubarak is being retried on charges bordering on the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising that sacked him from power. He has however served the maximum amount of pre-trial detention permitted in that case.
He was given a life sentence last year for failing to prevent the killing of protesters. His lawyers appealed earlier in the year and the court has since ordered a retrial.
Street Journal’s findings have shown that most members of the present day Egyptian army rose under Mubarak.
Meanwhile the violence that trailed the ouster of Mubarak’s successor, Mohammed Morsi on July 3 resulted in hundreds of deaths while extremists have also capitalised on the situation.
Almost 40 churches were burnt while 23 others were severely damaged. Only about 10% of Egypt’s population of 90 million are Christians.
Opinions are already divided on whether Egypt is tactically returning to the Mubarak days or not.