ICC Adjourns Kenyan President’s Trial Indefinitely

Indications emerged on Friday that the trial of Kenya’s President, Uhuru Kenyatta at the International Criminal Court might not go on for some time as prosecutors have asked for the case to be adjourned indefinitely.
Chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda said she still does not have enough evidence to proceed with the trial, which had been slated to resume next month.
A number of key witnesses pulled out, causing delay in the trial.
President Kenyatta has been accused of organizing ethnic massacres which led to the death of 1200 people and rendered about 600,000 homeless after the 2007 elections, a charge he has continually denied.
Meanwhile, African leaders have accused the ICC of only investigating alleged atrocities in Africa and have lent their voice to calls that the case should be dropped.
Bensouda, a Gambian national, who says she is standing for African victims, accused the Kenyan government of failing to supply information she has requested for the use of the court.
While she posits that the case should be delayed until the government of Kenya executes the prosecution’s revised request in full, the President’s lawyers have repeatedly said the whole case should be dropped because of a lack of evidence.
The victim’s representatives and Kenyatta’s legal team have been given till September 10 to respond to the adjournment request.
Kenyatta was a close ally of President Mwai Kibaki, who was declared the election winner despite claims of fraud from his rival Raila Odinga back in 2007.
The declaration was followed by violent protests with killings along ethnic lines, pitting members of the Kikuyu ethnic group of Kenyatta and Kibaki against other communities.

Author: NewsAdmin

3089 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

September 2014
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930