There are indications that Nigeria and South Africa have resolved their differences over the cash-for-arm deal that went awry.
An online medium, Cable News, this morning quoted South African Ambassador to Nigeria, Lulu Louis Mnguni, as saying that the money had been returned to the Nigerian government.
South African authorities had on September 5 seized $9.3 million cash belonging to the Nigerian government and another $5.7 million about two weeks later on the ground that the transfer process was against South African financial law.
But Nigeria’s National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki, insisted that the transactions were legal.
The issue almost caused a major dispute between both countries as Nigeria moved to sanction South African companies operating in the country.
Indications however emerged that the South African government was willing to return the money after some diplomatic moves early this month.
Confirming the return of the money, Mnguni said: “South Africa’s relations with Nigeria comes a long way. So now, this actually will make us much more closer, to see how we can close some of these gaps that result in such accidents.”
While also reacting to the Synagogue building collapse and its effect on the relationship between the two countries, Mniguni said both countries had come a long way and the collapse could only make them closer and stronger.
The South African ambassador added that the seizure of the funds by South African government was in no way related to the Synagogue collapse.
“South Africa’s relations with Nigeria is priceless, it cannot be sold for $15m,”
“These are two separate incidents, and of course, the issue of money has already been sorted out. Nigeria has been given the money.”