Chibok Schoolgirls: Cautious Optimism Greets Cease-fire With Boko Haram

Leader of the Bring Back Our Girls Campaign group, Dr Oby Ozekwesili has expressed cautious optimism towards the news of the ceasefire agreement reached with the Boko Haram by the Federal Government, saying Nigerians had been disappointed several times by the military authorities on the abducted schoolgirls.
Ozekwesili condemned the handling of the abducted chibok schoolgirls matter by the government, stressing that information management by the military had been rather too poor.
Speaking on a Channel TV programme monitored by the Street Journal this morning, Ozekwesili said twice, the military had announced the release of the girls and recanted on each occasion, throwing the parents of the girls into melancholy.
Ozekwesili however, condemned the politicization of the Bring Back Our Girls issue by the political class. He said the campaign group had no link with a particular political party. He said one of the leaders of the group was a prominent member of PDP who was responsible for the only PDP member in the national assembly.
She however, said her joy would know no bound if the girls were brought back on Monday as promised by the military authorities. According to her, it was unfortunate that the Federal Government was insinuating that BBOG group was an appendage of APC.
The Presidency has however, denied the insinuation that the abducted schoolgirls would be released on Monday. A Presidency source said there was nowhere the presidency or the military headquarters announced that the girls would be released by Boko Haram on Monday.
He said it was not promised by any government agency that the girls would join their parents on Monday. He however, noted that the release of the girls was only part of the agreement reached with the Boko Haram.
Meanwhile, Community leaders in the hometown of more than 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls are also cautiously optimistic about news of a cease-fire with the Islamic extremists who abducted their daughters six months ago.
Bana Lawan, chairman of Chibok Local Government Area, says there will be no celebration until they see the girls, “and then we will know it is true.”
Community leader Pogu Bitrus says “people rejoiced, but with caution.”
He said many residents are skeptical of the army’s announcement Friday that Boko Haram extremists have agreed to an immediate cease-fire.
Some reports say the truce includes an agreement to free the 219 girls missing from Chibok town.
Government spokesman Mike Omeri says only that they are “inching closer to the release of the Chibok girls.”

Author: News Editor

2787 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »