The death toll in a suspected Boko Haram suicide bombing of a secondary school in northeast Nigeria has risen to 58, a school official said on Wednesday.
“From records at our disposal, the death toll now stands at 58 while the number of those injured has soared to 117,” said the official at the school in Potiskum, Yobe state.
A bomber disguised in school uniform blew himself up as students gathered for morning assembly at the Government Comprehensive Senior Science Secondary School before classes began on Monday.
Federal police previously gave the death toll as 47 with 79 injured and said that Boko Haram, which is opposed to so-called Western or secular education, was believed to be responsible.
The attack was one of the worst against a state-run school in Boko Haram’s bloody five-year insurgency, which has seen boarding school students killed in their beds.
The group was also responsible for the mass kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls from the northeastern town of Chibok in Borno state in April. More than six months on, 219 are still being held.
Meanwhile, at least 10 people were feared dead on Wednesday after an suspected suicide bombing rocked a teacher training college in Kontagora as students were sitting exams, police and a student said.
The blast happened at the Federal College of Education in the town of Kontagora, Niger state, some 150 kilometres (90 miles) from the state capital, Minna.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility but the explosion happened just two days after nearly 50 students were killed in a suspected Boko Haram suicide bomb attack at a school in the northeastern state of Yobe.
That massacre was one of the worst in the five-year insurgency against a school teaching a secular curriculum, to which the Islamists are opposed.
Niger State police spokesman Ibrahim Gambari confirmed the blast by telephone from Minna, saying commanders were awaiting further details from officers on the ground.
“We have dispatched our teams from here,” he said.