The Bayelsa State Government has condemned reports credited to a group of youth in Bayelsa, asking the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, to stay off a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) planned Presidential rally scheduled for the 5th of February, 2015 in Yenagoa.
A Government House statement signed by Daniel Iworiso-Markson, the Chief Press Secretary described the reports as the handiwork of the opposition and some faceless groups, who it said only exist on the pages of newspapers.
The government said those behind the threats issued to the First Lady should not be taken serious.
Earlier, some Bayelsa State youths have issued a stern warning to the wife of the President, Patience Jonathan, not to visit the state during the Peoples Democratic Party presidential rally on February 5.
A group of youths from Bayelsa creeks; the Mangrove Boys of Bayelsa, had earlier warned that if the First Lady failed to heed their warning, she would be thoroughly disgraced and have herself to blame.
The Bayelsa Youth Vanguard had earlier issued a similar statement barring Patience from attending the proposed rally.
The youths, in a statement by their President, Mr. Opuyo Engobara, and Secretary, Mr. Warrman Aderi, accused the First Lady of aiding his anointed governorship aspirant, Mr. Waripamowei Dudafa, to recruit youths to boo and stone Governor Seriake Dickson, at the proposed rally.
They lamented President Goodluck Jonathan’s silence over the alleged excesses of his wife, wondering whether he intended to join in the stoning of the governor.
They said, “In her last visit to the state, Mrs. Jonathan came ahead of her husband, avoided the state Government Lodge and stayed at Otuoke for three days.
“During the time, she was busy sponsoring Dudafa’s recruitment drive with the intention to go against the governor by booing and stoning him at the planned rally to discredit his administration before the PDP National Executive Council.
However, the Bayelsa state government, reassured the First Lady and other Nigerians that are expected to attend the proposed grand rally, that the State government and the various security agencies are already on full alert to arrest any untoward situation during the Presidential campagn.
It vowed to deal decisively with any acts of lawlessness, brigandage and mischief, warning that, any individual or group found to have perpetrated such acts, whether before, during or after the rally, would be made to face the full wrath of the law.
The government stressed that will not relent in the performance of its duties by ensuring the provision of adequate security as well as the protection of the lives and property of all residents of the State and will do exactly same, even on the 5th of February, 2015.
The statement went further to reassure the First Lady, every member of her delegation of their safety and urged them to disregard the reports.