President Muhammadu Buhari has directed that all military checkpoints across the country be dismantled immediately.
The president’s directive was announced by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Defence, Malam Aliyu Ismail, while briefing State House Correspondents on the outcome of a meeting of officials of the Ministry of Defence with the president on Monday.
Ismail said Buhari had ordered the Chief of Defence Staff to get the Chief of Army Staff and the Inspector General of Police to remove all the military men along the roads across the country.
According to him, the purpose of the meeting was for officials of the ministry to brief the president on arrangements made so far in the implementation of decisions reached during the Lake Chad Basin Commission summit held recently in Abuja.
“Nigerian armed forces are very ready, we have briefed him but one most interesting thing about it is that we are going out much happier because he has shown us he is still a soldier.
“He has updated and enriched our strategic plan and we are happy,’’ he added.
The Permanent Secretary disclosed that the meeting also discussed the relocation of the military command centre in Nigeria to Borno, adding that the centre would soon be fully operational.
“We have briefed him on how far we have reached on that; on that one again he has given us some additional assignments but very soon the centre will be on.
“I want to assure Nigerians that with what we have come out from this meeting we are very enthusiastic that the issue of Boko Haram will soon be over.
“I, as a permanent secretary, also feel like going to fight the war because he has given us hope and we have seen peace and security in the very near future,’’ he said.
Ismaila also said that the Joint Multi National Task Force on Boko Haram had restrategised to combat terrorism in the sub-region.