Over 30 Killed In Yola Market Bomb Blast, Dozens Feared Dead In Maiduguri

An explosion tore through a marketplace Friday in Yola, North eastern Nigeria, killing at least 31 people and injuring dozens of others, an official with the country’s National Emergency Management Agency said.

The blast happened in the town of Yola, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) west of the border with Cameroon, said Sa’ad Bello, the agency’s coordinator in Adamawa state.

Thirty-eight people were sent to a hospital with injuries; others with minor injuries were treated and discharged at the scene, Bello said.

The Federal Medical Centre Yola, has called on members of the public to donate blood to victims of Thursday’s bomb blast that occurred at Yola Market.

The spokesperson of the centre, Mohammed Dodo, made the call Friday in Yola in an interview.

Mr. Dodo said the hospital blood bank and other facilities such as drugs had been overstretched as a result of the incident.

Service Chiefs

“As I am speaking to you, we have 31 dead and 22 people seriously injured,” Mr. Dodo said.

The chief medical director of Yola Specialist Hospital, Bala Saidu, said 44 people were admitted to the hospital with various degrees of injury, out of which 25 have been treated and discharged.

“We only have 19 people now on admission,” Mr. Saidu said.

He said all bodies from the incident had been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre.

Meanwhile, the Lamido of Adamawa, Barkindo Mustapha and Adamawa Deputy Governor, Martins Babale, have visited the scene and victims of the incident.

They condemned the blast and urged the public to be more vigilant.

The Thursday night blast, which is the first in Yola town according to the spokesperson of the Adamawa Police Command, Othman Abubakar, was carried out by two suicide bombers who are among the dead.

In a similar development, a suicide bomber on Friday June 5, 2015 attacked Police Headquarters in the north east Nigerian city of Maiduguri, killing dozens of people, a hospital official said Friday amid warnings that the situation in the city is worsening.

A hospital official said the bodies were brought on Friday to the hospital from outside the police headquarters in Maiduguri.

Over 30 people were hospitalised with injuries from the blast, the official on condition of anonymity because he is not allowed to speak to press

The attack occurred on Friday around noon at the gate of the headquarters, said Borno State police chief, Bala Hassan.

The bomber had tried to enter the compound, but was stopped by officers, Hassan said.

Hassan said that only seven policeman, about 10 civilians were killed and nine other civilians were critically injured. However, officials have downplayed casualty figures in the past.

Hours earlier, a suspected bomber died when an explosive went off prematurely in another part of the city, said military spokesman, Col. Victor Ebhaleme.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for Friday’s attacks, although a radical Islamist sect, Boko Haram, has carried out similar attacks.

The U.S. Embassy issued a warning late Thursday to its citizens not to travel to Maiduguri as diplomats believe “the situation will continue to deteriorate.”

 

Author: News Editor

2787 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »