The Director in charge of the North-Central zone of the National Emergency Management Agency, Mohammed Abdulsalam, has put the number of deaths in Sunday night’s bomb attacks on Jos at 44.
Mr. Abdulsalam also told journalists via telephone on Monday morning that 48 others were badly injured, and are currently hospitalized in various hospitals in the Plateau state capital.
But the Plateau state government insisted that only 18 people died in the incidents, with 18 others injured.
A statement by the Director of Press and Public Affairs to the Governor, Emmanuel Nanle, quoted the state government as condemning the attack, and calling for calm.
The statement also urged security agents to intensify checks and patrol across the state to avert reoccurrence.
The spokesperson for the Plateau State Command of the police, Abuh Emmanuel, confirmed the explosions Monday, but declined to disclose casualty figure.
Mr. Emmanuel said the data on victims were still being collated, and that no arrest has so far been made.
Witnesses said Monday morning that the bombing at Yantaya Mosque area of the city might have been targeted at a renowned Islamic cleric, Yahaya Jengri, who was at the Mosque at the time of the explosion.
He was unhurt.
Witnesses said the suicide bombers at the Yantaya Mosque explosion also threw explosives at residents and passersby, killing many.
The Bauchi road explosion occured near a restaurant known as “Hajiya Talatu Mai Abinchi”, a popular eating spot in the area, killing 13 people and injuring several others.
A witness, Godwin Okoko, described the act as wicked and barbaric and called for an investigation.
“This is sad and barbaric even at this holy period of Ramadan,” Mr. Okoko said. “I am calling for justice and effective community policing to end terrorism in all its forms, and this should be a collective responsibility of all.”
The explosions and the attendant killings have thrown the state into fresh confusion, as residents of Jos remained indoors on Monday morning.