Maj. Gen. Tukuru Buratai has taken over from Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah as the Acting Chief of Army Staff.
The former Chief of Army Staff urged the new Army Chief to sustain the ongoing fight against insurgents in the Northeast.
The former Army Chief made the appeal at the official handing over ceremony in Abuja
According to him, his 18 months as the Chief of Army Staff was very challenging as the nation’s Army battled to reclaim her almost lost glory as a result of the ongoing fight against insurgency in the north east.
The new Chief of Army Staff said he will unfold his operational plans for tackling insurgency in the days ahead.
Earlier on Monday July 13, President Muhammadu Buhari sacked the Heads of Army, Navy and Air Force as well as the National Security Adviser (NSA) .
The President later approved the appointments of the following:
1. Major-General Abayomi Gabriel Olonishakin – Chief of Defence Staff
2. Major-General T.Y. Buratai – Chief of Army Staff
3. Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas – Chief of Naval Staff
4. Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar – Chief of Air Staff
5. Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan – Chief of Defence Intelligence
6. Major-General Babagana Monguno (rtd.) – National Security Adviser
The group had seemed to be losing its grip on the Northeast region, when the Nigerian military launched a seemingly successful operation to reclaim all territories lost to the insurgents.
However, with about 500 lives lost in recent suicide bombings in Yobe, Kaduna, Plateau and Kano states, there has been renewed pressure on the military for a more effective approach to the war on terror