Twin Blasts Hit Gombe Central Market Killing 50

Two bombs exploded at a crowded Gombe Central Market on Thursday evening in the thick of last minute shopping by Muslims for Friday’s Eid-el-Fitr celebrations, leaving in its trail no fewer than 50 dead, and many others wounded.

Mr Kudu Nma, the Gombe State commissioner of police, who confirmed the incident to newsmen in the state capital, said there was a bomb blast, either from a suicide bomber, or from an IED kept somewhere.

He said the bombs exploded at the central market, Sabon Layi, at the section for the sale of clothes and shoes.

The CP said: “People were busy shopping, preparatory to sallah festival. Right now, the number of the dead has not been ascertained.

“As you can see, people are busy trying to save the lives of the injured; for now, we cannot tell you the number that have died.”

Nma, who said the police had cordoned off the area to prevent looting by hoodlums, also called on the public to continue to maintain vigilance, and report any suspicious movement or person to the security agencies.

Also, an eye witness and fruits seller in the market, who simply identified himself as Hassan, said the first bomb exploded at exactly 5:20 pm, and seconds later, and a few meters away, a second one went off.

The Street Journal learned that about 50 corpses had been deposited at Gome Specialist Hospital and the Federal Medical Centre, where the wounded are also being treated.

Author: newsadmin2

529 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »