Terrorism: FG Arraigns Alleged Nyanya, Kuje Bombing Masterminds

Five alleged Boko Haram terrorists who denoted bombs in two Abuja suburbs, Nyanya and Kuje on October 2 killing scores of Nigerians were on Thursday arraigned before Justice Abdul kafarati of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

Abdulazeez Muhazab, Ishaka Salihu, Mohammed Jimoh, Abdulwaheed Nasiru and Abdullahi Nasiru, are standing trial on a 5-count charge bordering on terrorism.

The charges comprise: Conspiring to commit terrorism,which is contrary to Section 17 of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, TPA, 2013; Act of Terrorism, which is contrary to Section 2(a) of the same Act; Act Preparatory to an Act of Terrorism,which is contrary to Section 2(b) of the same act; and Accessory to an Act of Terrorism, which is contrary to Section 2(g) of the said act.

Count one of the charge reads: “That you, Abdulzeez Muhazab, Ishaka Salihu, Mohammed Jimoh, Abdulawaheed Nasiru, Abdullahi Nasiru and others (now at large) on or about the 2nd October, 2015, at Kuje town and Jikwoyi Park, Nyanya, in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, conspired amongst yourselves to carry out a bomb attack by the use of Improvised Explosives Devices, being an act punishable under section 17 of Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act 2013.

Count Two reads: “That you, Abdulazeez Muhazab, Ishaka Salihu, Mohammed Jimoh, Abdulwaheed Nasiru, Abdullahi Nasiru and others (now at large) on or about the 2nd October, 2015 at Jikwoyi Park in Nyanya in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, did carry out a bomb attack using Improvised Explosives Devices (IED) which resulted in the death of scores of innocent citizens and many others sustained various degrees of injuries, as well as destroyed properties, being an act punishable under Section 2 (a) of Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act 2013.

Count Three reads: “That you, Abdulazeez Muhazab, Ishaka Salihu, Mohammed Jimoh, Abdulwaheed Nasiru, Abdullahi Nasiru and others (now at large) on or about the 2nd October, 2015 at Kuje town in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, did carry out a bomb attack using Improvised Explosives Devices (IED) which resulted in the death of scores of innocent citizens and many others sustained various degrees of injuries, as well as destroyed properties, being an act punishable under Section 2 (a) of Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act 2013”.

Twelve ready-made bombs and bomb making devices, comprising 27 detonators, allumnium powder, Hexomine, Hydrogene Peroxide, Sulphur Powder, Sodium Axide plus Nitrate, soldering wire, Sodium Carbonate, Thermometer, PH Litmus paper and a bag of fertilizers were allegedly found in the possession of the accused on October 6.

When the charges were read out to the accused, they all pleaded not guilty to the charges, except Mohammed Jimoh, who pleaded guilty to count 5 only.

The prosecution counsel, Mr Mohammed Diri, who is also the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation, told the court that investigation into the alleged crime had been completed and his team was ready to proceed with the trial of the accused.

He, therefore, prayed for an adjournment to enable him to bring his witnesses and exhibits to be tendered during the trial.

When Mr Nureni Sulyman,the counsel to the accused, made an oral application to admitthem to bail, Justice Abdulkafarati turned it down and instead ordered that the accused be moved from Police custody and remanded in Kuje prison.

The trial Judge adjourned the case to November 17 and 24 for trial.

Author: NewsAdmin

4594 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

October 2015
M T W T F S S
« Sep   Nov »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031