Benin Bomb Blast, Not Terrorist Attack – Nigerian Army

The bomb blast that rocked Benin, Edo State capital yesterday was not a terrorist attack, Nigerian Army has said.
Dispelling the speculation Wedesday, the Commander of the 4 Brigade Command, Benin, Brigadier-General Farouk Yahaya, said there was no terrorists in the state.
Yahaya, who noted that some military personnel had earlier inspected the scene, said, “By my assessment and by that of others, it is obvious (that) it is not a terrorist attack. It is not an attack on this place. The people around here can bear witness; we do not think it is an attack. Perhaps, you can describe it as an accident or something that was buried there that has maybe exploded.”
Asked if the building had been used to keep kidnapped victims‎, having been raided by the military two years ago as a suspected den of kidnappers, Yahaya said, “I am not in a position to say what it was meant (for). But security agencies are always on the trail of criminals.”
He added, “Sometimes, they can be kidnappers, armed robbers or even cultists. Based on information, we conduct what is called cordon and search, to search an environment or a place we suspect. But to say what was there two years ago, I am not in a position to say so. But what we saw suggests that whoever was there was having the material (IEDs) you saw.
“Probably they keep them there; when they want to use them, they carry them. But when they were raided, they abandoned the place and did not remember to carry what they left. And thank God they (criminals) they did not carry them. If they had, they would have used them somewhere else.‎”
Two explosions had rocked one of the buildings, identified as house 41, off Upper Sakponba road in Benin, on Tuesday evening when one of the tenants, Elue Chinedu, reportedly set fire on a heap of refuse within the compound.
It was gathered that one of the affected buildings had been used a hideout by suspected kidnappers but later abandoned after some soldiers reported
The Police Public Relations Officer, Osifo Abiodun, said that one Chinedu was taken for questioning to ascertain how the IEDs got the building, adding that samples from the debris had been obtained to aid the investigation.
He, however, urged residents of the area to go about their normal activities, as the building had been “cleaned up.”

Author: News Editor

4842 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

February 2016
M T W T F S S
« Jan   Mar »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29