Federal High Court in Lagos, Monday, has renewed the warrant of arrest it issued against Niger Delta militant warlord, Government Ekpemupolo alias Tompolo, January 12, 2016.
The Judge, Ibrahim Buba, who also dismissed the application brought by Tompolo’s lawyer, Tayo Oyetibo to set aside the arrest order, said Tompolo’s application was “misconceived, misplaced, and misapplicable.”
“Up till today the first defendant has refused to honour the invitation of the court to appear before it,” the Judge said.
“The whole essence of service is to make the person aware of charges facing him. By bringing an application before the court, the first defendant had become aware of the charge before the court.”
While his co accused have been appearing in court, the former militant leader has refused to appear before the court or the anti graft body despite repeated invitations.
He and Patrick Akpobokemi, former Director General of Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), among others are being accused of defrauding the Federal Government through dubious contracts running into billions of naira.
However, Tompolo sent a lawyer to represent him on Monday, unlike before.
EFCC lawyer, Festus Keyamo had earlier told the Judge that Ekpemupolo’s continuous refusal to honour the court as well as EFCC’s invitations was disregard for constituted authorities.
The case was adjourned till February 19th and the Judge ordered that all the relevant security agencies to produce Ekpemupolo at the next hearing.