18 Yrs Old Boy Arraigned for Robbery as Night Guard is Shot Dead by Robbers in Benin

When some of his mates still sleep behind their mothers’ back, 18-year old David Ikemi has ventured into the world of armed robbery. And he is facing the music.
This is as Egor Magistrate Court in Benin on Monday ordered Ikemi to be remanded in prison custody
The 18-year-old Ikemi, who was arraigned by the police for allegedly being in possession of a cut-to-size hand gun during his armed robbery operation, was arriagned along with one Best Egomwan, 25, who allegedly received the stolen items.
The Prosecutor, C.S.O. Nnamdi, told the Court that the accused person committed the offence in February 29, at about 11:30 am, at Ogida Quarters, Benin.
Nnamdi further told the court that the accused robbed his victims of one Samsung Galaxy S5 and a Tecno M5 mobile phones, both valued at the sum of N65,000 and N30,000 cash.
However, while the plea of the 1st accused (David Ikemi), was not taken, the 2nd accused (Best Egomwan), pleaded not guilty to the charge against him.
The Prosecutor said the offence contravened section 402 (2) and 427 of the Criminal Code Cap 48 Vol. II, laws of the defunct Bendel State of Nigeria 1976, as applicable to Edo state.
The Magistrate, Mr. W.E. Aziegbemhin, granted the 2nd accused person bail in sum of N70,000 and a surety in like sum, who must be a senior civil servant and a resident within the court’s jurisdiction.
Aziegbemhin adjourned the case till April 21 for hearing.‎
Meanwhile, a 52-year-old night guard simply identified as Abdulahi, has been reportedly murdered by suspected armed robbers in a phone shop on Airport road, Benin City, in the early hours of Monday morning.
Abdulahi, a father of three and native of Auchi, Etsako west local government area of Edo state, was said to be on duty with another guard whose identity was given as Austin.
It was gathered that the robbers had tried to gain entry into the shop by denting one of the metal windows when Abdullahi attempted to stop them but was overpowered.
The robbers were said to have bound Abdulahi’s hands and legs‎ and tied a piece of cloth around his nose and mouth, leaving him to suffocate to death before they fled.
Following the incident, passersby thronged the scene to catch a glimpse of the deceased, even as some staff of the phone shop gathered in clusters discussing the incident.
A worker who pleaded anonymity, said when the workers resumed for business at about 9 am ‎the victim was seen lying lifeless within the premises of the building housing the shop.
However, the whereabouts of the second guard (Austin) was still not known at the time of this report.
The Public Relations Officer of Edo Police Command, Mr. Abiodun Osifo, could not be reached for comment, but it was gathered that the late night guard’s corpse was later evacuated by policemen from Aideyan police station.
The widow of the deceased, Mrs. Abdullahi, said her husband’s death means the beginning of hard life and suffering for her.
“It was when I was told that someone died that I knew that it was my husband. They have put me into suffering! Look at me? Where will I start from?,”‎ she lamented. ‎

Author: News Editor

9846 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.


calendar »