Group Complains of Abandonment After Undergoing NIS’s Training

Activities within and around the Ministry of Interior were, Monday morning, temporarily halted as a group that claims to be representing 2,000 recruits into the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) in 2015, engaged in a demostation.
Recall that after the fatal recruitment exercise conducted by the then Minister of Interior, Abba Moro in 2014, which many people during stampede, President Goodluck Jonathan constituted a committee to carry out a fresh recruitment process.
Out of the 48, 747 candidates shortlisted, 2000 (400 Assistant Superintendent of Immigration ASI, 700 Assistant Inspector of Immigration and 900 Immigration Assistants) were selected after a computer-based test and 1600 of them got their appointment letters before training.
The 400 ASI were awaiting the arrival of theirs when the directive to terminate the process was issued.
The group said its members have since undergone three months induction training exercise but surprisely have not been absorbed.
It is thus pleading with the Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau for instatement.
The group leader, Solomon Ojigbe told journalists, that the group decided to express their resentment about the manner they were being treated.
He said since they were asked to go in August last year they have not received any official communication from the government.
He noted that all the applicants passed through the rigorous but transparent process of recruitment and were selected based on merit, lamenting that they were suspended because they were seen as commoners who do not have anyone in the corridors of power to fight their course.
Ojigbe said: “These young recruits, parents, families and sympathizers have waited aimlessly for over eight months, without any form of pronouncement from the Nigeria Immigration Service, Ministry of Interior, CDFIPB and other government sources.
“While we waited patiently for an official memo in view of our plight, the CDFIPB, Ministry of Interior and the Nigeria Immigration Services went ahead to recruit over 2000 personnel secretly who are presently in the various training institutions without considering us.
“This, we see as a move akin to replacing us. We are, therefore, at the Ministry to demand our immediate resumption.”
Among other requests, the group asked to be recalled to duty, directed the issuance of appointment letter to the 400 Assistant Superintendent of Immigration and payment of the salary arrears of all the dispersed recruits.
The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Interior, Bassey Akpanyung who spoke through his Special Assistant Felix Okonkwo promised to look into the case and address it accordingly.
“All issues relating to your grievances will be sorted out and everybody will be happy,” he said.

Author: News Editor

4253 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »