The Federal Government is tell the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Court why it has continued to detain the former Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd), while Dasuki is also to outline his case against the Federal Government.
This decision was reached Tuesday by the court in a case of enforcement of fundamental rights brought before by the former NSA.
The former NSA has been in detention since December last year.
Presiding Judge of the regional court, Justice Friday Chijioke Nwoke, gave the order in Abuja Tuesday at the resumed hearing in a legal action instituted by Dasuki to challenge his alleged unlawful detention, unlawful seizure of properties and infringement on his fundamental rights to freedom of liberty.
Justice Nwoke, while ruling in a motion by the Federal Government seeking to lead oral evidence against Dasuki to justify his detention, said that the regional court having granted expeditious hearing in the case of alleged abuse of fundamental rights, would not do anything to defeat the accelerated hearing order.
In the ruling, the presiding Judge granted the request of the Federal Government to call two witnesses who are security operatives to lead oral evidence against Dasuki but ordered that the defense by government must be done within one day.
He subsequently ordered Dasuki to make out his case of the abuse of fundamental rights against government on Wednesday while the Federal Government must put its defense at the disposal of the court on Thursday.
Justice Nwoke however lambasted the Federal Government for filing the motion on notice Tuesday adding that the action of government was a ploy to impede accelerated hearing already granted but however said that the request was granted in the interest of justice.
Justice Nwoke ruled, “Having listened to parties in this matter and the parties having filed and put all necessary documents and exhibits at the disposal of this court and having granted accelerated hearing in this matter, it is in the interest of justice that this case must be expeditiously dealt with.
“In this regard, the plaintiff is hereby ordered to make out his case on Wednesday, May 18 and the defendant to ventilate its defense the following day, May 19 after which we will adjourn for judgment.”
In Dasuki’s suit filed through his counsel, Mr. Robert Emukpoeruo, he sought an order awarding the sum of N500m in his favour as compensatory damages for his alleged unlawful invasion of his house, detention, seizure of properties and infringement on his rights.
He claimed that government had put him on trial in three different high courts on corruption charges where he was granted bail and that after his bail, he was re-arrested on December 29, 2015.
The ECOWAS Court had earlier dismissed the Federal Government’s preliminary objection challenging the jurisdiction of the court to entertain the suit.
Dasuki had dragged the Federal Government before the ECOWAS Court praying the regional court to intervene in his detention without trial since December last year.
The former NSA asked the court to void the detention, the seizure of his properties and to bar government from further detaining him without a lawful court order.