The Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma on Wednesday said the Federal Government will not retrenched any of its workers.
Speaking with State House correspondents at the end of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting chaired by Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, Senator Udoma said Nigerians should disregard the rumours that Federal Government would soon prune down number of its workers.
The Minister said: “That is news to me, I am not aware of any instruction to anybody to sack anybody, in fact the policy of this government, we said so at the beginning that we are not going to retrench, there is a natural wastage which happens in government, there are people who retire, people who may be disciplined but there is no policy in this government to retrench. So I want to disabuse your mind that there is no such policy,” he added.
He stated that the promised N350bn, which government planned to injected into the economy to reflate it has not been released because of due process.
Udoma said that the money has not been released because those concerned wanted to follow due diligence in releasing the said fund.
At the briefing, which was also attended by the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed., Udoma said Nigerians will start to feel the impact of the 2016 Budget from the 3rd quarter of this year.
The Minister also disclosed that Ministries Departments and Agencies (MDAs) have been urged in Council to fast-track the processes for the capital budgets in order to quickly reflate the economy.
He said: “As far as the N350bn which was indicated, the money is available but there is a process and this is part of the reasons we briefed council and there is need to fast track those processes so that very soon most of those monies will be released. We expect in the Ministry of Works, they should have quite substantial release in the next week or so.
“It’s easier for us for existing projects but new projects are a bit more difficult because of the public procurement. The public procurement you have to advertise and you have to wait for six weeks and so on. So new project will take a bit longer.
“But existing projects that have already gone through the public procurement process will be faster and I believe that you will soon start seeing the impact of those releases.”
On how much has been released so far, he said: “I think what we will probably do is because that wasn’t part of what council discussed, so what we will do we will be giving numbers from time to time. So I’m sure within the week we should be able to give you numbers.”