We Can’t Release Omisore Now – EFCC

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has given reasons why the detained former Deputy Governor of Osun State, Iyiola Omisore, cannot be released now.
The anti corruption agency said investigation into Omisore’s alleged involvement in the diversion of state’s funds through the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) was still on-going.
It said that the former Senator refused to answer repeated invitations extended to him, until he was cornered and arrested, and if released he may abscond.
In a counter-affidavit, Thursday, the commission filed against an application for bail filed by Omisore before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, EFCC agent, Kassim Yusuf, said there was no way Omisore could b released now.
Yusuf stated that Omisore’s arrest and detention were backed by court orders.
He stated further that the commission was planning to invite a number of the ex-Deputy Governor’s associates, who he named during interrogation.
He said the EFCC is “investigating cases of alleged payments made by the office of immediate past National Security Adviser, Col. Mohammed Sambo Dasuki (retd) to individuals and companies, with nothing to show for it.
“In one of the alleged cases which the 1st respondent (EFCC) is investigating, the name of the applicant (Omisore) featured prominently as a sole signatory to Firmex Gilt Ltd’s bank account domiciled at United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc.
“A copy of a letter to UBA, forwarding signatory mandate card and statement of account of Firmex Gilt Ltd is hereby attached.
“Several payments were also made by the office of the immediate past National Security Adviser, Col. Mohammed Sambo Dasuki Trtd) into the bank account of Sylvan Menamara Ltd domiciled at Diamond Bank, with nothing to show for for it.
“Copies of e-payment schedules from ONSA and statement of accounts of Sylvan Menamara Ltd are hereby attached.
“From Sylvan Menamara Ltd’s Diamondaccount, the sum of N160,000,000 was deposited into the said account on 4th August, 2014 by the then NSA. Thus sum was subsequently transferred into Firmex Gilt Ltd’s bank account domiciled at UBA Plc on 8th August 2014.
“Investigation so far carried out, reveals that the applicant received hundreds of millions of naira from the office of the National Security Adviser, with nothing to show for it.
“In the course of interviewing the applicant, he has mentioned names of persons and companies through which monies from the office of the National Security Adviser got to him.
“There is need to those persons and companies mentioned by the applicant to make some clarification. If the applicant is granted bail, he will interfere with witnesses and he will also prejudice and frustrate our on-going investigation,” Yusuf said.
Justice Olukayode Adeniyi, after listening to parties, fixed ruling for Friday.

Author: News Editor

4702 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »