Boko Haram Ambushes Military Escort, Kills Six in Borno

Six persons were killed Monday when members of the terrorist group, Boko Haram, attacked military escort in Borno State.
Three soldiers were also reported to have been injured in the encounter.
The Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, confirmed the attack on Tuesday.
He said that suspected members of Boko Haram on Monday afternoon ambushed a military escort in Borno State, killing six civilians and injuring three soldiers.
He said that the operation was carried out by remnants of the terrorist group who were foraging for food.
“The terrorists ambushed troops of Operation Lafia Dole escorting commercial vehicles from Damboa to Maiduguri, at Sanda general area of the State”, Col. Sani Usman said.
He stated further: “Unfortunately, five civilians lost their lives in the incident and another died on the way to the hospital. Three soldiers also sustained injuries.
“We would like to assure the public that we would not allow this isolated incident to thwart the peace and security commuters enjoy along the route and all other opened routes in the North East.
“Troops are on the heels of the attackers and would not relent till they are apprehended or killed. Additional security measures have also been placed to avert reoccurrence”.
He called on the general public to be vigilant and report any suspicious movement to the military.
On the reported killing of members of a church in Chibok on Sunday, Usman said it was not true.
He said: “In addition, the Theatre Command, Operation Lafiya Dole wishes to clarify that alleged suspected Boko Haram terrorists attack at Chibok is not correct.
“What happened was that, two persons were murdered at Kwamjilari village, (which is over 30 kilometres from Chibok, and very close to Sambisa forest), by suspected remnants of Boko Haram terrorists looking for food.”
The Army Spokesman reiterated that the victims were not killed outside or near a church as being bandied around.
“The people from the said village are all in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Chibok”.
Usman said that those who went back to the village without authorisation were moved back to Chibok two weeks ago, adding that “those killed went back on their own contrary to security advise”
Reports had said that the attack by suspected Boko Haram members outside a church in Kwamjilari village in Chibok, Borno State left no fewer than eight people dead.
A local resident identified as Luka Damina, said on Monday that the incident was carried out by gunmen on bicycles.
Damina said the attack happened shortly after morning service on Sunday in the village.
According to Damina, “Some of the worshippers remained around the church and the gunmen opened fire and eight men died.
“Unknown to the residents, the gunmen had stationed some of their comrades on the road leading out of the village and they shot anyone who tried to flee.
“Many people ran into the bush with gunshot wounds. But so far, we can only confirm eight deaths.”

Author: News Editor

4197 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

September 2016
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930