Boko Haram: Time for Final Blow

The terrorist group, Boko Haram, that has waged war against the nation since 2007, once more dared President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday in a new video.
The 12 minutes, 58 seconds video which came to light Wednesday morning, the hierarchy of the terrorist organisation said it was on a mission to attack Buhari in his fortified Aso Rock Villa. With this disclosure, it has opened a new vista in its defiance against the sovereignty of the nation.
In the new video, the organisation said: “Our message to the infidels who are fighting us; especially their leader, the President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, is that he should know that we are still in this religion. And like they keep saying that they have defeated us; it is indeed not true, because we are in good health and succeeding in our cause. We are very strong and doing very well.
“Buhari is saying that he will finish us. Let him know that before he said so, other infidels said so before now and they couldn’t.
“So this infidel by the name Buhari saying that he will finish us, he should know that by the grace of Allah, he cannot finish us. Rather, he will die, he will die, he will die.
“Our leader who is leading us on this, Imam Jamatu ahlus Sunnah lidda awat (Shekau), may Allah continue to protect him for us.
“By the will of Allah, under the leadership of our leader (Shekau), we will capture Buhari with our hands.”
It stated further: “Under the leadership of our leader, Shekau, we will step further henceforth and will destroy what we never destroyed before.
“We are ready and even stronger now. We will go to where we never were before now and destroy what we never destroyed before now.
“You infidels, you are finished now. You all want to live and enjoy life; but this time around, we are well prepared to die.”
The video came exactly a month after the sect released a similar one which showed how the Nigerian military coordinated an aerial attack on its hideout that left some of the abducted Chibok girls dead.
The military appeared embarrassed by the video and declared three people wanted for allegedly taking part in its release.
The new video also came a few days after rumours on social media that the Federal Government had already commenced a prisoner swap with the sect. The rumours said Kabiru Sokoto, a leader of the sect who was convicted for the Christmas Day bombing in 2013 had been released.
The rumour later turned out false as the prison authority said Tuesday the terrorist was still in prison.
In the video the sect released on August 14, the group said it was prepared to exchange the over 240 abducted Chibok schoolgirls for its members detained in prisons across the country.
The tone was mellowed, and seemed to have been subdued and also pleading for its captured members to be set free.
In that video, one of kidnapped girls was made to appeal to the sensitivity of the nation by begging the nation’s political leaders to heed the request of the terrorists for them to return to the comfort of their homes and parents who have been made to go through anguish and pain since their ordeal started in 2014.
Boko Haram had said that the video was released to send a message to the parents of the girls to beg the Nigerian government to release Boko Haram members in various detention centres in exchange for the girls.
He said about 40 of the girls were already married out, while some were dead.
One of the girls, Maida Yakubu, who spoke in both Hausa and her native language asked parents to “be patient and beg the government to release their people, so that we will also be released”
Many analysts had said then the group was finished and suffering from imminent collapse. The military had also beat its chest that its superior air fire power had reduced the terrorists to a remnant with no feat to stand any more.
When few days later, the Nigerian Airforce said it ‘fatally wounded’ the leader of the sect ‘Abubakar Shekau’, and some top commanders killed, it was assumed, indeed, the group perhaps has been weakened for good.
However, with the latest show of strength and flexing of muscles, the group inadvertently opened a new chapter in its avowed war against the nation.
The tone has suddenly changed to high pitch, like a voice that has just found a new meaning and audacity, it is once more hardened to confront the nation.
It is imperative at this juncture to ask where is the tough talk coming from? Is it from new acquired arsenal? Or from mere bravodo?
This should be the new headache and direction for the military, intelligence agencies and other security outfits.
The BringBackOurGirls body, that has been at the forefront of fighting for the freedom of the kidnapped girls, had once called on the international communities to help crush the terrorists.
This alternative ought to be renewed and pursued. Let it be a priority to finally bury this evil sect that have made life a living hell for communities in the North Eastern region of the country.

Author: News Editor

7717 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

September 2016
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930