Moro Broke All Rules in 2014 Recruitment Exercise – Witness

The second prosecution witness, Sylvanus Tanko, said Friday that former Minister of Interior, Abba Moro broke all protocols in the 2014 recruitment exercise that turned deadly.
Led in evidence by the prosecution counsel, Yusuf Aliyu, Tanko said when he assumed office on September 13, 2013, as Secretary to Board, he met complaints about the manner the Ministry of Interior was going about the recruitment exercise, saying, members of the Board and the Comptroller General of Immigration, all complained they were not carried along.
He stated: “I resumed at the Board on 13 September 2014. Board members also complained that they were not carried along. The Comptroller General of Immigration particularly wrote a letter which had been sent to the Board proceeding my arrival. In the letter he had complained that power delegated to Immigration Service had been removed. He queried why advert was placed without involving the Service.”
Continuing, Tanko said he made the complaints known to the Chairman of the Board, who did not replied but asked him to go ahead with the preparation for the recruitment exercise.
Testifying get on the agreement between the Ministry and Drextel Tech Nig. Ltd to provide a portal for the exercise, the former Director said: “When I got a copy of the contract from Procurement Department, I took time to study the document and I found out that I have one or two issues with it.
“There were many complaints about the ongoing exercise. One was that candidates could not access the portal. Another was that it could only be accessed by night.”
He said based on this, he asked the Minister if to stop the collection of N1000 for the e-registration, the Minister asked that it should continue because an agreement had already been entered with Drextel Ltd.
The Minister later called him and others to his house and told them to make ensure there was no failure.
He said he was on ground during the recruitment in Abuja on that Saturday, March 13, 2014.
According to him, when he got to the National Stadium there were so many candidates at the gate that he could not gain access to the venue. “I met many who said they slept at the gate, that was a warning sign there was going to be problem. I knew the structure would not be enough. I called the Minister I could not get him.
“About 2 pm I started getting results from all the states of incidences”, he said.
However, at the instance of the prosecution counsel, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba, adjourned till October 14 for continuation of the trial.

Author: News Editor

3384 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

September 2016
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930