Immigration 2013 Scam: Moro’s Trial Stalled Due to Absence of Judge

The continuation of trial of former Minister of Interior, Abba Moro and three others, Felix Alayebami, Mrs Anastasia Daniel-Nwobia and company, Drextel Tech. Nig Ltd could not hold Friday due to the absence of the trial Judge, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba.
Recall Dimgba’s residence was among homes of other Judges ransacked last weekend by the Department of State Security Services (DSS) over corruption related matters.
In the raids, which took place in Abuja, Port Harcourt, Gombe, among other places, saw the arrest of seven Judges.
At the last proceedings, September 30, the second prosecution witness, Sylvanus Tanko, led in evidence by the counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Yusuf Aliyu, said Moro broke all protocols in the 2014 recruitment exercise that turned deadly and saw to the death of 15 applicants.
Tanko said when he assumed office on September 13, 2013, as Secretary to Board, he met complaints about the manner the Ministry of Interior was going about the recruitment exercise, saying members of the Board and the Comptroller General of Immigration, complained they were not carried along by the Minister.
He stated: “I resumed at the Board on 13 September 2014. Board members also complained that they were not carried along. The Comptroller General of Immigration particularly wrote a letter which had been sent to the Board proceeding my arrival. In the letter he had complained that power delegated to Immigration Service had been removed. He queried why advert was placed without involving the Service.”
Continuing, Tanko said he made the complaints known to the Chairman of the Board, who did not replied but asked him to go ahead with the preparation for the recruitment exercise.
At the instance of the prosecution counsel, the matter was adjourned till October 14 for continuation of the trial.
On why the court failed to sit on Friday, one of the court attendants said “the court can not sit now considering what happened last week”
Asked when the court would resume sitting, she said ‘may be next week’
Specifically, EFCC alleged that the defendants defrauded 676,675 Nigerian applicants of N676, 675,000 (Six Hundred and Seventy Six Million, Six Hundred and Seventy Five Thousand Naira).

Author: News Editor

4483 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

October 2016
M T W T F S S
« Sep   Nov »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31