Nigerian Army has handed over one of the missing secondary school girls abducted by Boko Haram insurgents in Chibok, Borno State, and rescued on Thursday, Rakiya Abubakar with her six months old baby to the State Governor, Kashim Shettima. Rakiya Abubakar, and her baby, were reportedly rescued by Nigerian troops of the operation Lafiya Dole.
An earlier statement by Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman said, “Troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE during investigation of arrested suspected Boko Haram terrorists discovered one of the abducted Chibok School girls, Rakiya Abubkar, with her six months old baby.
“According to preliminary investigation, it was discovered she is the daughter of Abubakar Gali Mulima and Habiba Abubakar of Chibok. “She further stated that she was a student of Senior Secondary School Class 3B (SS 3B), before her abduction along with her colleagues on 14th April 2014 by the Boko Haram terrorists.
“Rakiya Abubakar is presently undergoing further medical investigation and would soon be released to the Borno State Government,” the statement reads. With this development, the Bring Back Our Girls community have continued to express excitement and thanked the government for it efforts. BBOGs on it official twitter said “It’s confirmed that the rescued #ChibokGirl is Rakiya Abubakar Gali. #49 in our list. The 24th to return out of 219. 195 others more to come.
A leading member of the group, Oby Ezekwesile tweeted “Pres @MBuhari , Many thanks, one of OUR #196 #ChibokGirls is BACK. #195 REMAIN & #DAY1000 is ONLY 3 DAYS AWAY. #BBOG!.
“@DefenceInfoNG Very delighted at this cheering news of the recovery of Rakiya by our @HQNigerianArmy Troops. Great job! Many thanks,” Ezekwesile said. However, the rescue is coming three months after 21 of the abducted girls were also rescued sometimes October last year. Over 200 of the girls were abducted by Boko Haram members in April 2014 at their hostel in Borno State.