Yakubu Withdraws His Fundamental Rights Enforcement Suit

A former Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Andrew Yakubu, Tuesday, withdrew the fundamental human rights enforcement suit he had earlier filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for unlawful detention.
Yakubu had demanded for the enforcement of his fundamental human rights which he said were breached by his continued detention from February 8.
He had also demanded for N1bn as form of compensation for the denial of rights to freedom and liberty.
Recall, the EFCC had detained Yakubu when the sum of $9.8m and £74,000 were recovered from his building in Kaduna on February 3.
Yakubu had filed the suit before Justice Ahmed Mohammed of a Federal High Court in Abuja following his arrest and detention.
Counsel to Yakubu, Ahmed Raji had on March 9, while arguing the case, said his client has been detained since February 8 and until that date he was not yet released.
He asked the court to take into cognisance that Yakubu was abroad receiving treatment when he was invited home by the EFCC for questioning and thereafter detained without charging him to court.
Raji said, “It is my submission that investigation does not warrant detention. I urge the court to discountenance exhibits and strike out the preliminary objection raised by the EFCC”
Tuesday, Yakubu’s lawyer, Adeola Adedipe, iinformed the Judge at the resumed hearing of the case that he had filed a notice of discontinuance of the suit on behalf of his client.
The lawyer cited the recent arraignment of the former NNPC boss and the bail subsequently granted him (Yakubu) by the court as the grounds for filing the discontinuance notice.
Justice Mohammed, before whom Yakubu was also arraigned on March 16, struck out the suit.

Author: News Editor

4429 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »