Boko Haram Hits Konduga Again, 27 Killed, Scores Injured

No fewer than 27 people were killed on Tuesday following a suicide bomb attack on a village in Konduga, about 37 kilometers from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
The attack occurred in Mandarari town of Konduga Local Government Area at about 5.50 pm.
The local government has been hit severally by the terrorist group in its more than seven years of bloody war against the Nigeria State.
The State Commissioner of Police, Damian Chukwu, confirmed the attack in a Short Message Service sent to journalists on Wednesday in Maiduguri. He said 16 people died in the attacks and put the injured at 82.
A member of the Civilian JTF said it occurred at a motor park.
According to the security official, the attack was carried out by three suicide bombers, two female and a male, who took turns to detonate the Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) strapped to their bodies.
The attack comes on the same day the Military launched Mobile Strike Teams into the Theatre of operation to enhance operational efficiency.
This is the third known Boko Haram attack in the north-east on Tuesday alone as insurgents had earlier razed Muduvu and Nyibango villages in Madagali local government area of Adamawa state.
The incident happened less than 24 hours after Abubakar Shekau, leader of the Boko Haram sect, released a video where he threatened to carry out attacks in the ancient city.
Shekau, in the video, speaking in Arabic, vowed to deal with the people living in Maiduguri “because of their association with infidels.”
Shekau also denied the claim of the military that he sustained injuries in an air raid adding that if the military succeeds in capturing him, his ideology would outlive him.
“You are finished, you the people of Maiduguri, we will finish you for choosing the way of the infidels, for embracing democracy,” he declared.
“I am fine, nothing has happened to me. I am even stronger than I was before.
“I am nothing. Even if you capture me, you cannot capture the religion of Islam. You can capture me today because I am nothing. But It won’t stop the religion of Allah which we are committed to.
“This gun I am holding is nothing, we rely strongly on the ultimate power of Almighty God.”
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General António Guterres has condemned the attacks.
Guterres, in a statement issued by Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesman to the Secretary-General, called for the prosecution of those responsible for the senseless attacks.
UN Chief extended his deep condolences to the government and people of Nigeria for the loss of life and wished a speedy recovery to those injured.
He called for “those responsible for these repeated heinous acts in Nigeria and neighbouring countries to be swiftly brought to justice”.
The Secretary-General reiterated “the United Nations solidarity and support to the Government of Nigeria in its fight against terrorism and violent extremism”.
The UN scribe also renewed the commitment of the United Nations to support efforts within the framework of the counter-terrorism initiatives of the Lake Chad Basin Commission.

Author: News Editor

7736 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »