Dogs Foil Suicide Attack on Molai Hospital, Maiduguri

Persistent barking by the two dogs prevented the suicide bombers from gaining entry into the Molai Hospital premises, Maiduguri, Borno State capital, thus foiling attempts by suicide bombers to carry out attack on the hospital.
A witness, Rilwan Isah, explained that the insurgents were attacked by the dogs as they approached the hospital premises, forcing them (suicide bombers) to detonate the explosives strapped to their bodies.
Isah said that the dogs belonged to members of the CJTF. He said further that the dogs attacked the suicide bombers when the animals sensed that the bombers were strangers.
“We heard a male suicide bomber shouting in his dialect and the dogs barking and going after them.
“Only the suicide bombers and the dogs were killed in the attacks,” he stressed.
Isah said that the explosion blew the suicide bombers to pieces and killed the dogs.
According to a short statement from the Borno State Police Public Relation Officer, DSP Victor Isuku, the first incident involving a female bomber took place “Friday morning at Molai general area near a security guard formation.
Molai is a satellite community sharing border with Maiduguri metropolis from the South East.
The second incident according to DSP Isuku took place at the same Molai area but this time near the general hospital in the area along Maiduguri Damboa Road.
The statement reads in full: “Yesterday, 3/8/2017, a female suicide bomber detonated IED strapped on her body near a joint security guard location in Molai general area, killing herself alone.
“Today 4/8/2017, at about 0515hrs, two suicide bombers, male and female, attempted to gain entry into the temporary settlement area for rehabilitated leprosy patients within the premises of Molai General Hospital on the outskirts of Maiduguri township, along Maiduguri /Damboa highway.
“They were prevented by the persistent barking and attacks from dogs in the area. In the process, they hurriedly detonated IEDs strapped to their bodies, killing themselves. No other casualty was recorded.
Police EOD teams were promptly drafted to the scenes to sanitise and render the area and its surrounding safe. Normalcy has since been restored.”

Author: News Editor

8187 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.


calendar »