Family of 5 Loses 4 to Fire Outbreak in Kano

Tears flowed freely in Kano Wednesday as four persons from a family of five lost their lives when fire raged through their residential building.
The fire was said to have started from a compound in Tudun Murtala quarters in Nasarrawa Local Government Area of Kano State where petrol was stored.
The fire was said to have quickly spread to the adjoining buildings in clusters, where the four, out of a family of five, were roasted to death.
Among the injured, include a fire officer, who was part of the team battling the inferno, while the other victim from the ill-fated family was severely burnt.
According to an eyewitness account, the fire started at about 10 pm, to midnight, Wednesday, continued to rage, following the storage of petrol and engine oil in the said building, which affected about four apartments.
Volunteers, who first rushed to the scene, battled the fire, with sand, as an alternative measure, due to the unavailability of water in the area before the arrival of fire fighters.
However, it was further learnt that the timely arrival of fire fighters, saved the fire from spreading to other areas, as they succeeded in bringing the fire under control.
The Director, Kano State Fire Service, Mustapha Mohammed Rilwan, who confirmed the incident, said one of his officers, suffered severe burns, while others, who were also injured were rushed to the hospital for treatment.
Rilwan, however warned those in the habit of storing petrol in their homes to desist from such a dangerous practice.
Meanwhile, there was another fire outbreak in Kano Wednesday caused by power surge in Sabon Gari area, predominantly occupied by the non-indigenes of the state, where five persons suffered various degree of injuries.

Author: News Editor

8416 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.


calendar »

September 2017
« Aug   Oct »