Court Jails Suspect Linked to Kidnap of Chibok Schoolgirls 15 Years

A 35-year-old Haruna Yahaya, who was alleged to have links to the kidnap of over 200 Chibok school girls in 2014 has been jailed for 15 years for terrorism offences.
The Federal High Court sitting in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State, on Monday, handed down the sentence after the accused pleaded guilty to the offence.
Yahaya was convicted for being a member of the proscribed Boko Haram terrorist group and participating in the abduction of the schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, in 2014.
Yahaya, whose left arm and left leg are crippled, was said to have participated in the group’s attacks in Chibok, Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State and Gabsuri town in the Damboa Local Government of the state.
Yahaya had on Monday pleaded guilty to the two counts preferred against him by the Federal Government but pleaded for mercy, saying he was forcefully conscripted into the terrorist group.
But the Judge said the court was “not fooled” by Yahaya’s story.
The court noted the convict was “using the misfortune of his handicap to draw sympathy”
The judge, therefore, ruled that the 15 years sentence passed on the convict who had been in detention since 2015 would commence counting from Monday.

Author: News Editor

5294 stories / Browse all stories

Related Stories »

Provide your email below, and we will notify you the latest news freely.

sjdating    

calendar »

February 2018
M T W T F S S
« Jan    
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728