The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Sunday declared the Niger East Senatorial District election inclusive. The declaration was as a result of violence and irregularities recorded in seven polling units across four local government areas of the district.
The Returning Officer of INEC for the election, Prof. Wole Morenikeji, who spoke at the Commission’s head office in Minna that the results from the polling units have been cancelled.
He said “a rerun of elections in the affected pooling units will hold on Saturday, 6th September, 2014.
The local government areas affected are Shiroro, with three polling units cancelled as a result of violence; Munya local government area for electoral irregularities; and in Tafa Local Government Area, Corps members were taken to wrong polling units.
In Rafi Local Government Area, the Youth Corps members reported to us that they were harassed and the touts took away electoral materials from them.”
As at the time of filing this report, Nuhu Zagbayi of the Peoples Democratic Party was leading with 89,698 votes, while David Umaru of the All Progressives Congress had 84,640 votes.
INEC Head of Information in Niger State, Mohammed Waze, disclosed that the winner cannot be declared until the supplementary election is held. While speaking to newsmen, Waze said: “The Niger East Senatorial by-election is inconclusive.
A supplementary election will hold on Saturday September 6th, so that a clear winner will emerge and final result released.”
The seat of the district in the Senate became vacant on June 12 following the death of Senator Dahiru Aweisu Kuta.
The result of the Niger East Senatorial District bye-election as announced by INEC is as follows:
1. Bosso, APC 14, 240; APGA 171; PDP 6, 666; SDP 55
2. Chanchaga, APC 12,998; APGA 323; PDP 6, 812; SDP 26
3. Gurara APC 5, 782; APGA 144; PDP 11, 818; SDP 36.
4. Munya 1. APC 4, 472; APGA 103; PDP 8, 628; SDP 59.
5. Paikoro APC 12, 585; APGA 29; PDP 14, 896 and SDP 72.
6. Rafi APC 7, 789; APGA 571; PDP 7, 670 and SDP 84.
7. Shiroro APC 15, 864; APGA 304; PDP 16, 093 and SDP 92.
8. Suleja APC 7, 006; APGA 87; PDP 8, 323 and SDP 16.
9. Tafa APC 3, 953; APGA 105; PDP 8, 734 and SDP 20.
1. No of registered voters 937443
2. 199790 accredited voters
3. 176888 valid votes