The Department of State Services (DSS) said it has arrested two out of five of its staff members for their alleged involvement in a N310 million robbery, a statement said in Abuja on Sunday.
The statement, issued by an operative of the service, Mr Tonu Opuiyo, said that the money belonged to a Bureau De Change operator in Abuja.
It said that while three other Service staff members were still at large, the military had begun a detailed investigation of five of its personnel allegedly involved in the crime.
The statement said preliminary investigations revealed that one of the suspects conspired with four of his colleagues to carry out the act.
It said that the five military personnel were led by a captain. The statement said that efforts were on-going to apprehend those still at large.
It said that N66.4 million and 6,000 dollars of the sum had so far been recovered, while efforts were on to recover the remainder.
“It is to be noted that security agencies now act in concert, thus the joint investigation undertaken with the Police, Army and the DSS.
“This action of the service is in line with the posture of the current Administration and DSS management focused on professionalism, transparency and accountability,” it said
The statement said that those arrested had been suspended pending the completion of investigations.
“The Service wants to reiterate its commitment to the basic ideals and principles as established by its forebears and will not spare anyone found to be contravening the rules and regulations or the laws of the land.
“We therefore encourage members of the public with useful information that could lead to the arrest of those at large to volunteer same to the Service or other security agency.
“The DSS also wishes to use this opportunity to assure all law abiding citizens of their safety and urge them to partner with the Service in the smooth discharge of its responsibilities,” it said.
Four Students on the Run After Raping 16-Year-Old Girl to Coma
Sixteen year old girl from Okpoitumo Community in Ikwo local government area of Ebonyi State, Gladys (surname withheld) is battling for survival after being gang raped to coma by four secondary school students who invaded her house.
The four secondary school students whose name were given as Jeremiah Odah, Dick Alo, Ofobuike Alo and Obumnaeme had broken into the girl’s house and immediately demanded for sex but she refused.
This led to her being beaten-up thoroughly by the students of Galaxy foundation Secondary School, Ndiofoke Amagu, Ikwo in Ikwo local government area before taking turn to have sex with her.
After raping her to coma, the students carried her out of her house and dropped her in a bush where she was found after two days of search party by members of the community.
She was immediately rushed to the Rural Improvement Mission Hospital (RIMH), Ndegu Echara Community in the local government for medical attention.
According to the medical report conducted on the victim, Gladys sustained serious internal injuries in her body including private parts during the incident.
The matter was reported to the Ebonyi State family law centre, a special court saddled with the responsibility of handling such case while the chairman of the court, Mrs. Edeh Nwali has petitioned the State Commissioner of Police, CP Peace Ibekwe Abdallah urging her to use her good offices and bring the perpetrators to book.
The four secondary school students had disappeared from their hostel and the community after committing the crime.
Father of the victim, Mr. Edward while at the family law centre, appealed to the court, human rights organizations and the government to intervene in the matter.
He described her daughter as a bread winner of the family through her tailoring business.
Bank manager asked to account for funds collected under Suswam
The Justice Kpojime Judicial Commission of Inquiry into the books of the administration of Gabriel Suswan in Benue State has directed a former branch manager of Guarantee Trust Bank (GTB) PLC, Makurdi, Miss Aguma Uloko to furnish members of the Commission with details of what she did with the N7m she collected cash from officials of the Ministry of Finance in August last year latest Tuesday this week.
Chairman of the Commission, Justice Elizabeth Kpojime gave the directive during the testimony of the former bank manager who admitted that out of N168.6m collected, only seventy million naira was actually signed and collected from Ministry of Finance officials.
Members of the Commission confronted the witness with records showing that on the 11th of August last year, one Abel Musa, a staff of GTB signed and collected N16m cash on Miss Uloko’s behalf.
Also, on the 7th of August last year, the same staff Abel Musa signed and collected N8m while on September 3 last year, records showed that the branch manager signed and collected N118.8m from the Ministry of Finance officials for lodgment in the Ministry’s account with the bank.
Miss Uloko however insisted that she signed acknowledgement for receipt of only N70m which she failed to show to the Commission or any record where she deposited the money and asked for more time to do so.
The witness further explained that she resigned from the Bank on the 4th of May last year after 10 years of service, saying any staff who claimed to have collected money on her behalf was lying.
She however admitted that she used to visit the Ministry of Finance to collect cash for deposit at the Bank and also managed the accounts of former Finance Commissioner and other Senior Staff.
Over 20 lives lost In Katsina Auto Crash
No fewer than twenty people have been feared dead, while scores sustained injuries following a fatal accident that occurred at Kwanar Gwanti village of Mashi LG in Katsina State yesterday.
The auto crash involved a J5 bus and a lorry conveying scores of traders and cows heading to Maiadua market, one of the popular Sunday markets in the state.
An eyewitness said the lorry driver lost control and skidded off the road when he attempted to swerve pass the unmarked J5 bus.
The lorry reportedly fell beside the road leading to the colossal loss of human lives with injuries of very high magnitude.
“The lorry driver attempted to divert from the upcoming J5 and he then lost control because the venue was a narrow corner. Suddenly, we saw the lorry on a ditch. We rushed to rescue the people but the enormity of the accident was high” our source said.
It was gathered that scores of those who sustained varied degrees of injuries are being treated at Mashi Comprehensive health centre even as some with high degree of injuries were referred to Katsina General Hospital.
A staff of Mashi comprehensive health centre, Suleiman Mashi who partook in the rescue operations noted that he counted over fifteen dead bodies.
Mashi said ten people died on the spot of the accident while seven died in Mashi Health Centre adding “among those critically injured and taken to Katsina General Hospital, two have been confirmed dead”.
“As I am talking to you, we just took four dead bodies to one village, Kubbaje, for the families to bury their dead” he enthused noting “so far nineteen people have been confirmed dead following the accident”.
He noted that there was no empty bed as all the beds at the Comprehensive health had been occupied by the victims who are currently being treated
“APC Bringing back Decree 4 Social Media Bill”
The Ekiti State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Owoseni Ajayi has expressed concern over the Anti-Media Bill proposed by All Progressives Congress (APC) Senator, Bala Ibn Na’allah, saying, “the National Assembly must not allow itself to be used to bring back Decree 4 that was used against the press between 1984 and 1985, when President Muhammadu Buhari was military Head of State and the Sedition Law that the British Colonial Masters used against our fathers, who fought for the independence of Nigeria.”
The Attorney-General, who declared that holders of public offices must be answerable to the people at all times, added that, “those of us holding public offices must be mindful of the temptation of seeing ourselves as being above the people. We are not God that cannot be questioned. In fact, nothing should be private about us that the public must not know.”
In a statement issued in Ado-Ekiti on Sunday, Owoseni Ajayi, who said the Ekiti State government was against the bill in its entirety, noted that “that bill proposed by Senator Bala Ibn Na’allah is not different from Buhari’s Protection Against False Accusations Decree 4 of 1984, which was considered as the most repressive press law ever enacted in Nigeria.”
He said Nigerians were not unmindful of the fact that the APC rode to power on the back of free press and credible electoral process that was allowed by the Peoples Democratic Government of Dr Goodluck Jonathan, adding that, “the APC as a party must be ready to accommodate even more than the media attacks it gave PDP when it was in the opposition.”
The Commissioner for Justice said: “Isn’t it funny that the same media, especially the social media that the APC used against the PDP has now become an enemy that the APC led federal government is desperate to suppress? What are they afraid of?
“It is painful that anyone could bring such bill to the Senate, and even more painful that the bill was allowed to pass through the first reading.
“However, let those seeing the bill as a means of protecting themselves realise that they won’t be in power forever. They should therefore refrain themselves from acts capable of taking Nigeria back to those years of dictatorship that journalists were jailed indiscriminately and media houses shut for years. They should remember Tunde Thompson and Nduka Irabor of The Guardian newspapers.
“Most importantly, the Senate should be mindful of the fact that the offences the proposed bill seeks to criminalise already exist under Nigerian laws, including those on treason, defamation and libel.
“Lastly, let those supporting the obnoxious bill know that under a democratic government, there cannot be criminal libel or defamation. There can also not be a return of Decree 4 of 1984 and the Sedition Law of the Colonial days.”
Police Investigate Hawker’s Death in FCT
The FCT Police Command said it had commenced investigation into the death of a teenage hawker in the territory.
The FCT Police Commissioner, Mr Wilson Inalegwu, disclosed this in Abuja on Sunday.
On November 13 this year the teenage hawker lost his life after scaling a bridge around Bolingo Hotel, Abuja, while allegedly evading arrest by officials of the Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB).
Inalegwu said that some arrests had been made and investigation was ongoing.
“We are investigating that case, we have made arrest and we are trying to narrow it down to whoever is responsible for that.
“We are investigating, that is all that I can say. We are very much aware of that case”, he said.
Inalegwu said that officials of the board had been advised to be evenhanded while carrying out their duties.
“We have told them to be evenhanded and told the management to deal with any staff that is overexcited,” he said.
He also appealed to FCT residents to show understanding by obeying the law against hawking in the territory.
“But we also appeal to FCT residents to show understanding by not engaging in street hawking.
“If everybody is allowed to hawk on the street the traffic will not flow and we will begin to have traffic robbers.
“Experience has shown that this hawkers metamorphosis at night to use same locations when you stop at traffic to rob at night.
The commissioner said that Abuja is a cosmopolitan city and the standard should not be so lowered as to encourage criminality.
Lai Mohammed Moved to Tears at IDP Camp
The Minister of Information Culture, Lai Mohammed and his entourage were to tears on Sunday when they visited the Bama IDP Camp, Borno State.
They were moved to tears when they saw situation in camp. They were confronted with children suffering from malnutrition. Many of them with little flesh hanging on their bony bodies and others with protruding stomach and big heads.
The Minister lamented the impact of the war on the victims, and promised that government would do everything possible to rehabilitate them soon.
He was received by the Bornu State Deputy Governor, Usman Dwikwa; Theater Commandant, Maj. Gen. Abubaskar; Brigadier Commander, 21 Brigade Bama, Major Gen. Adeosun, who followed him to the camp.
The Minister, however, showered praises on Nigerian soldiers for their gallant fight and bravery in dislodging the elements of Boko Haram, particularly in Bama and Konduga Local Government Areas of Borno state, saying that the December deadline will be realistic.
The Minister gave the commendation, Sunday, during an official visit to Bama and Konduga Local Government Councils of Borno State.
Mohammed who led a team of information reporters to the visit said, he was humbled by the high scale of destruction and damages left behind in the areas by the insurgents.
He commended the Nigerian army for making impact in rooting out the insurgents and making more efforts in recapturing the remaining areas before the December deadline.
‘‘They are very happy about what we are doing and are very committed to restoring peace in North-East and unity of this country. We went to Bama and Konduga and saw firsthand, the scale of damage and destruction that the Boko Haram terrorists left behind.
‘‘It humbled many of us, and we all came back very sober. I hope that with this visit, my colleagues in the media will show more restraint, more understanding in reporting the efforts being made in the war against terrorism. We are also confident that by today, we are much more informed about the corruption war,’’ he said.
Onu Vows to Use only Made in Nigeria Vehicles
Minister of Science and Technology, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu has said true to his promise and the change agenda of the present administration, he will use only made in Nigerian vehicles as long as he serves under the present administration of Change.
Sources said the Minister had already listed Innoson Motos and PAN Nigeria as the only companies to supply his preferred vehicles.
According to a source, the Minister took the decision to encourage made in Nigeria goods and reduction in the high rate of consumption of foreign goods, as part of the administrations’ resolve to diversify the economy and empower Nigerian people.
Meanwhile, the Minister has assured Nigerians that the present administration through the ministry of science and technology would reposition Nigeria and make it become a scientifically and technologically advanced country.
He made the pledge on Friday, when he met with members of the Joint Union Negotiating Council (Federal Ministry of Science& Tech. Chapter) in his office.
PDP’ll Challenge Kogi Governorship Election Results
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Sunday said it would challenge the outcome of the governorship election in Kogi before the election petition tribunal.
The Publicity Secretary of the party in Kogi, Mr Bode Ogunmola, said in Lokoja. Ogunmola said the result of the election was unacceptable to the party and cannot stand the test of time.
He said the death of the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abubakar Audu , while collation was ongoing had made it inevitable for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to declare PDP candidate, Idris Wada, winner of the poll.
Ogunmola said PDP had rejected the declaration of Yahaya Bello as winner of the exercise, saying that the party would challenge the results before the tribunal.
He commended people of the state for their support to the party before and during the poll, urging them to continue to be law abiding.
Fuel Scarcity: DPR Seals 97 Stations in Lagos, Ogun
About 99 filling stations in Lagos and Ogun states have been sealed for various market infractions and sanctioned accordingly for taking advantage of the current fuel supply shortages.
Industry regulator, the Department of Petroleum Resources, DPR, in a statement weekend, in Lagos, said the retail outlets violated various regulations. Their sins include selling above government stipulated prices – N100K/ per pump; under-dispensing of products, operating without licence; diversion of products and hoarding
The filling stations include: NNPC Retail, Laggos -Abeokuta Exp. Way, Alakuko, Mobil, Idimu, Mobil, Akute, Mobil, Isawo Road, Ikorodu, Mobil, Airport Road, Ikeja, Conoil, Airport Road Ikeja, Conoil, Opp. Hajj Camp Airport Rd Ikeja, Conoil MM2 Local Airport Road Ikeja, MRS, Jakande Road, Ijegun Alimosho among others
There were more incidences of products diversion in the Ogun area than in Lagos, the report added.
According to the DPR, all of these offences in Lagos and Ogun states were committed last month, adding that almost all had paid their fines and their stations had since been unsealed