There are indications that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday, may have detained a former Minister of Interior under President Goodluck Jonathan’s government, Comrade Abba Moro, a former Permanent Secretary and a director over N650million immigration recruitment scandal.
The three suspects were said to been invited again by the EFCC ahead of their arraignment in court.
However, it was not certain what fate awaits the former Comptroller-General of Nigerian Immigration Service, David Parradang.
on March 15, 2014, no fewer than 23 Nigerian job seekers who sat for the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) recruitment examination were crushed in stampede that followed.. They were trampled to death, while scores were seriously injured.
Over 6.5m Nigerians who paid an application fee of N1, 000 each applied for 4,000 NIS vacant positions and were all made to sit for the exams at venues on the same day.
The tragedy occurred in the FCT, Port Harcourt, Minna, Gombe, and Benin venues of the examination.
Although, the then President Jonathan ordered probe, only the Immigration boss Parradang was sacked over the issue. Jonathan also ordered the employment of the next of kin, that has since been enmeshed in controversy as those involved said people outside the victims of the tragedy were employed.
The application fee that fetched the Ministry of Interior about N650m was never refunded.
Although Moro recently blamed the former Immigration boss for the incidents, those loyal to Parradang had earlier traced the tragedy to Moro and his alleged business partners.