A former Inspector General of Police (IGP), Solomon Arase, has said he would consider legal action against those bent in tarnishing his image, just as he denied the report, currently trending that 19 assorted vehicles belonging to the police were recovered from him.
He said the report was part of evil campaign against his person and that he would be forced to take legal action if the mudslinging continues.
In a statement on Monday, Arase said that there were some forces that were bent on tarnishing his image.
When Arase retired in July this year, his successor, Ibrahim Idris, had claimed the former IGP went away with 24 police vehicles.
But Arase had denied the report. He had said of the accusation: “I suspect there must be a disconnect somewhere because every information needed by my successor are provided in my hand-over notes,” he said at the time.
“It’s unfortunate that this matter is being made a media issue because my successor has my telephone number and could have called me for any clarification or even sent me a text message rather than addressing the media on an issue well documented in my hand-over notes.”
He had wondered what he was going to do with 24 vehicles, adding if he wanted to open a car mart, that would have necessitated him taking away as many as 24 vehicles.
However, in this latest insinuation that 19 vehicles he allegedly took away upon retirement had been retrieved from him, Arase said in a statement issued on Monday.
According to him: “It is embarrassing for me to wake up on Monday morning to be inundated with calls and messages on purported 19 vehicles recovered from me. I wish to reassure the general public that there was nothing like that.
“Like I said in July, I did not take any police vehicle with me outside what I am entitled to, and so, there couldn’t have been any vehicle recovered from me. If there was any such, those behind this campaign of calumny should please make the number plates of the vehicles public and where they were recovered from.
“Rather than dissipating so much energy on ‘project drag Arase down’, I urge those behind this evil campaign to face their official responsibility for which much is expected from them by the nation. I have done my bit and my own records bear me witness. Let those daily frightened by the shadow of Arase learn to face reality and stop chasing shadows so that they are not hunted by same,” he said.