A Kano Federal High Court will on March 7 hear Motion on Notice filed by former Managing Director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Andrew Yakubu, challenging an order of the court to temporarily forfeit $9.8m discovered in his house recently to the Federal Government.
Yakubu had earlier promised to sued the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the cash forfeiture order, and to recover the said money.
The Federal High Court sitting in Kano and presided over by Justice Zainab Bage recently ruled that the embattled ex-NNPC boss should forfeit $9.8m and £74,000 recovered from his house to the Federal Government.
However, Yakubu has dragged the EFCC to a Federal High Court in Kano in his bid to upturn the forfeiture order.
Counsel to the former NNPC boss, Ahmed Raji, who spoke through, Barr. Abdulkarim Kabiru Maude, said his client had applied for Motion on Notice, seeking the court to dismiss the forfeiture order earlier granted to the EFCC by Justice Zainab’s court.
The EFCC spokesperson, Kano office, Idris Nadabo, confirmed the development.
The huge sum was recovered during a surprise raid of Yakubu’s house following an intelligence report. The raid was conducted on February 3, 2017.
Outside the $9.8m,the £74,000 was also found in a fireproof safe in the house located in the slum of Sabon Tasha in Kaduna town.
“On arrival at the facility, the caretaker of the house, one Bitrus Yakubu, a younger brother to Andrew Yakubu, disclosed that both the house and the safe where the money was found belonged to his brother, Andrew Yakubu.
“When the safe was opened, it was discovered that it contained the sum of $9.7 million and another sum of £74,000.
“On February 8, 2017, Andrew Yakubu reported to the Commission’s Zonal office in Kano and made a statement, wherein he admitted ownership of the recovered money, claiming it was a gift from unnamed persons”, EFCC source had disclosed.
It would be recalled that Yakubu had reported to the EFCC office in Kano February 8 and has since been held.