One of the suspects on trial for the April 14, 2014 bomb blast that killed 75 persons and wounded more 100 others at a crowded motor in Nwanyan, Abuja, has died in the the custody of the Department of State Security (DSS).
The suspects, Adamu Yusuf, was said to have died from asthma attack recently. He was the third defendant.
The Federal Government had on May 15, 2015, arraigned Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, Adamu Yusuf, Anas Isah, Yau Saidu Muhammadu, Sani Ishaq and Ahmed Rufai Abubakar (a.k.a. Abu Ibrahim/Maiturare) at Federal High Court for being behind the blast.
It was gathered that because of the poor sanitary situation of the cell and lack of care by the operatives of the secret Police, Yusuf succumbed to death.
Other suspects are said to be currently suffering from one ailment to another.
At the resumed hearing Thursday, counsel to the defendants had earlier moved applications for the remaining suspects to be transferred to prison cell, the prosecuting counsel, Shuaib Labaran, who was absent, sought for a stand down of the matter because he was said to be appearing before the Appeal Court on other case and pleaded for a short adjournment.
The trial Judge, Justice Ahmed Mohammed of a Federal High Court, Abuja, adjourned till November 2, for continuation of trial.
The suspects are answering to an 8-count terrorism charge that was preferred against them by the Federal Government through the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.
The offence they committed was said to be contrary to sections 1, 2(a), 5, 8, 16 and 17 of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act of 2013.