The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr Ibe Kachikwu, has said no foul play was suspected in the fire incident that engulfed part of his house at Asokoro, Abuja, on Sunday night.
The Minister spokesman, Idang Alibi said “No foul play was suspected in the fire incident.
“It was a mere power surge that was contained immediately.”
The spokesperson said no one was hurt during the incident, which he said occurred between Sunday night and Monday morning and blamed on a faulty electric cable in his principal’s bedroom.
Kachikwu was not at home during the outbreak. It was contained within a few minutes by police guard and others who were at the property located in the highbrow Asokoro neighbourhood.
It was gathered that security personnel and some first responders on the ground at the time of the incident were able to put off the fire which was caused by a suspected electrical fault in the Minister’s room.
“The Minister’s residence located on the outskirts of Asokoro was gutted by fire which was caused by an electrical fault in a part of the building. He was not at home when this happened, but some mobile police officers and first responders were able to handle the situation,” a source said.
He added, “However, the important thing is that it is not a serious incident, it only affected a part of the building and I think it was his room. And like I said earlier, it was due to an electrical problem in the apartment. There is a police post close to the estate and their presence there was also instrumental.”
The development comes amidst raging controversy over the October 3 leakage of a memo which Kachikwu addressed to President Buhari about alleged infractions at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.