The presidency on Saturday announced the rescue of three University of Maiduguri lecturers and 10 women, who were kidnapped when Boko Haram terrorists raided a military convoy in Damboa Road near Maiduguri, last year.
President Muhammadu Buhari expressed gladness over their release through negotiations.
According to a statement by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President, Garba Shehu, said the President expressed delight at the development while being briefed by the Department of State Services (DSS).
Shehu said their release followed a series of negotiations facilitated by the International Committee of the Red Cross, as directed by the President.
The presidential spokesman quoted the brief given by the DSS as revealing that all the 13 rescued persons are in the custody of the service and are on their way to Abuja with the assistance of the Nigerian Army and the Air Force.
In expectation of their being brought to the DSS headquarters, he said a team of doctors and psychologists has been placed on standby.
He added that the rescued persons may be presented to the President and thereafter released to their families, if there are no issues of security or medical concerns.
The statement read in part: “The President, who got step by step progress reports on the lengthy negotiations while they took place, received the good news with a lot of happiness.
“He commended all those who in one way or the other helped in making the release possible.
“He then urged the DSS and the Nigerian Army to intensify efforts to bring home the remaining Chibok Girls still in the custody of the terrorists.
“The Director-General of the DSS, Lawal Daura, assured the President that they were working hard to bring home the remaining girls and, as soon as possible, bring the Chibok girls saga to an end.”