The Nigerian Army stated on Thursday that troops of operation Lafiya Dole foiled attacks of Boko Haram terrorists on Gubio and Magumeri in Borno state on Wednesday.
Spokesman for the operation Lafiya Dole in the northeast, Col Ado Isa, said in a statement that contrary to media reports, only a civilian vigilante was killed during the cross fire.
He explained that the attacks by the terrorists were targeted at troops to enable the terrorists gain access to shops in the market where they can loot foodstuff.
Col Isa said: “The attention of the Nigerian Army in the Theatre of Operation Lafiya Dole has been drawn to reports on various media platforms indicating attack on Gubio and Magumeri communities in Borno State at about 1735hrs of Wednesday the 21st of August, 2019.
“To avoid further misinformation that could create unnecessary tension, the Theatre Command wishes to state that the attack was targeted at Nigerian Army troops deployed in the areas to enable the terrorists gain access shops in the market in the towns to loot food items and other logistics. The attack was however repelled by the troops.
“Consequently, due to fierce exchange of fire, the terrorists were forced to withdraw in disarray from the town resulting to damages on buildings and property along their route of withdrawal.
“There were no casualty on the security force (troops) and no lost or damage to own equipment as wrongly insinuated on social media. However, a vigilante sadly lost his life in a cross fire. Also some civilians in the area reportedly sustained various degrees of injuries.
“Peace has so far been restored in the communities with residents going about their lawful businesses.
“The Nigerian Army once again call on all well meaning members of the public to collaborate with the military and other security agencies in the area of sharing of information and suspicious movement of criminals in their communities to proactively deal with criminal activities .”