Breaking News

Coronavirus: From midnight tonight Dublin will move to Level Three until October 10th -Taoiseach

0
coronavirus:-from-midnight-tonight-dublin-will-move-to-level-three-until-october-10th-taoiseach

Taoiseach Micheál Martin has warned that Dublin is at a “very dangerous place” and without action, Dublin could return to the worst days of the crisis.

In a live address to the nation, Mr Martin said he knew the havoc the virus was causing to the economy, to sports, to arts and culture. 

“I know this my first and most important obligation is to protect you. This virus kills. It kills old people but it kills young people too,” he said. 

He said that the new restrictions for Dublin would leave “many people angry” but it was necessary to protect life. 

Mr Martin was speaking after the Government decided that from Midnight tonight, Dublin City and County would move to Level Three alert for the next three weeks.

Mr Martin outlined some of the new restrictions that would impact on the capital. 

Visitors from one other household will be allowed into homes. Training will be allowed to take place but no matches. Weddings and funerals will be confined to 25 people. People have been asked not to travel outside or into Dublin City and County. 

“Many will be upset by what we have to do but please be assured these restrictions are recommended by our leading medical experts (in this field).”

He said questions had been asked about the pause on indoor dining for the next three weeks. 

“The fact is that while we are seeing a lot of infection in people’s homes, the initial infection is taking place in the community,” he said. 

He argued that the Government needed to “act now and in common purpose.”

“We owe it to the memory of all those taken by this virus.”

He added: “We are a resilient people. As a nation we have come through every manner of trial and hardship and this too will pass.”

 

Growing age profile

On Thursday night, health officials reported that one more person had died of Covid-19 and a further 240 cases had been reported. Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn said half of the cases (119) were in Dublin, while there was also a growing age profile among those catching the virus.

The latest figures mean the death toll in the State has risen to 1,789. Confirmed cases have now breached the 32,000 mark, climbing to 32,023.

“If we keep going on the road we’re going, we’re heading onto a road that could get us back to the point where we have to take more restrictive actions,” Mr Reid told RTÉ radio’s Morning Ireland.

“Right now the hospitals are coping, but we will see our hospital system coming under pressure and it doesn’t take a large number of cases to start freezing wards and beds.”

Mr Reid explained that wards have to be ‘frozen’ and put out of use when a case of Covid is identified. This was to allow for deep cleaning, but it meant they could be out of use for days.

When asked about the hospitality sector being impacted when more cases are coming from the community, he explained that the cases were brought into the community from where people had gathered or congregated. “It is about where people meet,” he said.

Meanwhile, an emergency medicine consultant has warned that the HSE needs to urgently address the issue of the shortage of intensive care beds rather than trying to reassure people that there isn’t a problem.

Dr Fergal Hickey said that even before Covid the health care system was “critically short” of intensive care beds “at the best of times.” For any one to claim there were sufficient intensive care beds was incorrect, he said.

Speaking on RTÉ radio’s Morning Ireland, Dr Hickey said that the evidence contradicted any claims about sufficient critical care bed capacity. While some areas in hospitals could be turned into extra critical care capacity, the reality was that there was a shortage, he said.

“As the numbers keep rising people will require hospitalisation and critical care. We are seeing an increase in older people, who are more vulnerable, getting infected and they will require critical care as will some young people,” he said.

Dublin restrictions

Under additional restrictions for Dublin, dining, restaurants and pubs which serve food will only be permitted to open if they have outdoor facilities, or for takeaway services.

Authorities have already decided that pubs that do not serve food, so-called ‘wet pubs’ will stay shut in Dublin when they re-open around the country on on September 21st.

In Dublin, social and family gatherings outside the home are likely to be prohibited, while visitors to the home should be restricted to people from one other household. Sports matches will also be discontinued, though there is an exemption for elite sport, which includes club championship games.

No organised indoor events such as conferences and events in theatres, cinemas or arts venues will be allowed to take place. Outdoor events will be confined to 15 people. Gyms will be permitted to open for individual training only. Churches and places of worship will remain open for private prayer only, though funerals will have an exemption. Even here, however, only 25 mourners will be permitted.

The Government’s public health experts made the latest recommendations on Thursday night, amid growing alarm at the rise in cases in the last seven to 10 days.

An announcement will likely be made by the Taoiseach, Micheál Martin, and Tánaiste, Leo Varadkar, later today.

Gunmen Kidnap Five Family Members, Two Others In Kaduna

Previous article

Teenager who stabbed 18-year-old in a Dublin park found guilty of manslaughter

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *