International News

Customer reviews reveal AmazonBasic’s electronics and appliances have ‘exploded and caught fire’

0

Amazon customers are reporting that the e-retailer’s own line of budget electronics have been malfunctioning, posing a threat to both life and property. 

The AmazonBasics brand, established in 2009, currently offers 5,000 different items across a broad range of categories, including homewares, bedding and pet supplies. 

And while most consumers rave about the cut-price products, there have been hundreds of complaints about the safety of the electronic items on offer from AmazonBasics. 

A CNN report, published Thursday, claims that at least 1,500 reviews, covering more than 70 different AmazonBasic items, ‘have described products exploding, catching on fire, smoking, melting, causing electrical malfunctions or otherwise posing risks’ in the past four years alone. 

The news network further alleges that ‘within those more than 1,500 reviews, many consumers explicitly called out items as potentially dangerous – using terms such as “hazard” or “fire” or saying the product should be recalled.’

CNN states that ‘around 30 items with three or more reviews like this remain for sale on Amazon.com today.’

In a statement, an Amazon spokesperson told DailyMail.com: ‘Safety is a top priority at Amazon and we know customers expect Amazon’s products to be safe and high quality. 

‘We take a number of proactive steps to ensure this – e work with third party labs to establish safety and compliance standards for our products; select experienced manufacturers that meet our quality, safety, and social responsibility bar; test products to ensure they pass safety and compliance standards, [and] monitor customer feedback for any indicators of a safety or quality concern’.

Amazon customers are reporting that the e-retailer’s own line of budget electronics have been malfunctioning – posing a threat to both life and property. A malfunctioning AmazonBasics microwave is pictured in the review section of the website 

Last June, one shopper shared a shocking photo showing the smoking inside of her car after an AmazonBasics charger exploded after they plugged it into a socket near their dashboard

Since 2016, more than 150 customers have expressed safety specific concerns about AmazonBasics microwaves. 

Last October, one customer claimed their house ‘almost burned down’ after they used the appliance. 

‘Had this about for months, almost burnt my house down… my eight-year-old stuck a Mac and Cheese cup in there like she has done a zillion times… and it caught fire!!! Luckily I was home! Took it outside and sprayed it with a hose.’

The outraged customer then blasted: ‘Cheap, cheap, cheap! It started to steam in front of the glass… about a week ago… I should have known!’ 

 Amazon’s spokesperson told DailyMail.com: ‘We take the safety of our products seriously, and are confident that the AmazonBasics Microwave is safe to use. 

‘We take several steps to ensure our products are safe including rigorous testing by our safety teams and third party labs. The appliance continues to meet or exceed all certification requirements established by the FDA, UL, FCC, Prop 65, and others for safety and functionality.’  

Another customer shared a snap of an AmazonBasics phone charger which melted after overheating 

An AmazonBasics power strip is seen burned out after catching fire while plugged into a power socket 

One malfunctioning AmazonBasics product left a power socket damaged after overheating

Meanwhile, AmazonBasics chargers, power strips and paper paper shredders are among the other items that have been reported as faulty. 

Shaken customers sharing their complaints in the product reviews section on the website. 

Last June, one shopper shared a shocking photo showing the smoking inside of her car after an AmazonBasics charger exploded after they plugged it into a socket near their dashboard. 

‘As soon as I plugged it in my car, there was a mini explosion and sparks flew everywhere and it caught on fire. I’ve never had an issue with things plugged into my car,’ the write. 

The consumer gave the item one out of five stars.  

One angry consumer claimed the AmazonBasics surge protector left their wall charred after it ‘caught fire and burned the power outlet’

This surge protector completely melted after being set on fire, according to the customer who bought the item 

Meanwhile, one Connecticut resident told CNN they were left with burns after an AmazonBasics phone charger overheated in the middle of the night

Meanwhile, one Connecticut resident told CNN they were left with burns after an AmazonBasics phone charger overheated in the middle of the night. 

The cord was resting on an office chair, before ‘the heat produced by the cord ignited the upholstery for the chair.’

The man awoke and carried the flaming chair outside, leaving him with minor burns to the arms.  He was taken to hospital to be treated for the incident. 

The man awoke and carried the flaming chair outside, leaving him with minor burns to the arms. He was taken to hospital to be treated for the incident

Companies are required to report ‘potentially hazardous’ products to the Consumer Product Safety Commission by law. 

According to CNN, there are least 10 CPSC reports that reference AmazonBasics items dating back to 2012. 

Last year, Amazon recalled its AmazonBasics 1500 Watt Ceramic Space Heaters  after receiving 30 reports of the heaters overheating, burning, or sparking. 

Around 377,000 heaters had been sold.  It’s unclear whether that specific item is among those reported to the CPSC. 

Meanwhile, in 2018, the e-retailer recalled its  AmazonBasics portable power banks following more than 50 reports of overheating. 

FULL STATEMENT FROM AMAZON

On Friday, September 10, an Amazon spokesperson told DailyMail.com:

“Safety is a top priority at Amazon and we know customers expect Amazon’s products to be safe and high quality. 

We take a number of proactive steps to ensure this – for example, we work with third party labs to establish safety and compliance standards for our products; select experienced manufacturers that meet our quality, safety, and social responsibility bar; test products to ensure they pass safety and compliance standards; monitor customer feedback for any indicators of a safety or quality concern; and periodically test private brand products available in our store. 

Amazon thoroughly investigates any indicators of safety or quality concerns. The outcome of the investigation varies on a case by case basis and may include removing the product from the store, adjusting the design of the product, notifying customers to stop using the product, or other appropriate action. 

We want customers to shop with confidence and if ever a customer has a concern, they can contact customer service and we will investigate.” 

Pat McGrath’s Supreme lipstick sells out in EIGHT SECONDS

Previous article

Viewers call on Netflix to cancel controversial ‘Cuties’ film

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a Reply