Daily News

Gana: I won’t be distracted over role of military – Ortom

0

By Uja Emmanuel, Makurdi

Governor Samuel Ortom said he is not distracted by the military killing of wanted militant leader Terwase Akwaza, who was on his way to surrender for amnesty programme.

Speaking to Journalists after Benue State Security meeting in Government House Makurdi, Orton said his administration have decided to proceed with the amnesty programme despite the temporary setback occasion by the killing of Terwase Akwaza.

He also disclosed that following the interception and killing of the repentant militia leader, Terwase Akwaza, aka Gana by men of the Nigerian Army, the Benue State Security Council is to meet with stakeholders from Sankera on Friday, 11th September, 2020.

The Governor said the meeting would review the situation in Sankera area following the incident.

Read Also: Gana… A bully who became his community’s protector and then gangster

He stated that council resolved to continue with the amnesty programme to cover those who retreated, even as he allayed the fears of the repentant youths who may be intending to be part of the programme.

Ortom explained that the 42 youths from Logo were successfully profiled and allowed to go back home, pointing out that a committee headed by Security Adviser to the Governor, retired Col. Paul Hembah was constituted to work out some support for the repentant youths.

He said his Special Advisers on Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs as well as that of Special Duties, elder Jerome Torshimbe and Hon. Joseph Odaudu would also be part of the committee.

The Governor said Council Chairmen of Katsina-Ala, Logo and Ukum Local Government would also be co-opted into the committee which responsibility also includes identification of skills of the repentant youths for necessary intervention.

While answering questions from journalists, he said security had been beefed up in Sankera to prevent breakdown of law and order as a result of the death of Gana.

Ortom acknowledged the peaceful disposition of the people of Sankera in spite of the incident and urged them to sustain the conduct as everything was being done to guarantee the security of lives and property.

FGN to spend $2.3bn on 1st phase of Presidential Power Initiative- Minister

Previous article

Troops capture 40 gang members of Benue militia leader Gana

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a Reply

More in Daily News