Mexico police rescue 87-year-old man who was kept locked in a filthy room and forced to sleep on a bare bed frame with no blankets by his 54-year-old daughter
- Agents from the Celaya police department in Guanajuato, Mexico, removed an elderly man who was held by his daughter against his will in a locked room
- The shocking finding took place last Thursday when cops went to serve a warrant to confiscate unpaid goods at the home of 54-year-old Leticia
- The police said officers were removing some of the items when they heard 87-year-old Bonifacio crying
- Bonifacio was taken from the home and placed at a city-run shelter for seniors
- Leticia was arrested but charges have not been announced by the Guanajuato state prosecutor’s office
Published: | Updated:
Police officers have rescued an 87-year-old man who was held against his will by his own daughter at her home in central Mexico.
The shocking discovery took place last Thursday while agents were serving a warrant for the repossession of unpaid goods at the Celaya, Guanajuato, residence of a woman identified only as 54-year-old Leticia.
While removing some of the items from the house the cops heard cries emerging from one of the bedrooms, where they found her elderly father Bonifacio.
An 87-year-old man identified by the Celaya police as Bonifacio was safely removed from his 54-year-old daughter’s home in Guanajuato, Mexico, last Thursday. The decision to take him from the house was made after cops heard him crying while he was locked inside a room at the residence
Cops discovered that the 87-year-old man was forced to sleep in a filthy room littered with trash on the floor. The elderly man’s bed was a wood bunked frame that this not have a mattress
Photos shared by the Celaya municipal police showed the bedroom’s grimy conditions with bottles and trash littering the floor, and dirty clothes lying on top of the bed frame.
Bonifacio was forced to sleep on the bottom part of a wooden bunk frame without the support of a mattress.
The elderly man, who suffered from an unknown condition on both of his legs, was removed from his daughter’s house because his living condition was deemed inhumane. He was then taken to a local medical clinic and was transferred to city-operated shelter for seniors.
Leticia was arrested and placed in the custody of the Guanajuato state prosecutor’s office, which as of Monday hadn’t determined if any charges were going be filed against her.
Bonifacio (pictured kneeling) is now staying at a city-run shelter in Celaya, a municipality in the central Mexican state of Guanajuato