The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has suspended the ongoing screening of applicants for recruitment due to the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic.
NDLEA’s spokesman, Deputy Commander of Narcotics, Jonah Achema, disclosed this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.
Mr Achema said that the screening suspension was based on strict compliance with the directive of the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami.
NAN reports that NDLEA had on January 8, released the list of shortlisted candidates.
The candidates, numbering 5,000, were due to appear at the agency’s academy, Citadel Counter-Narcotics Nigeria, Katton-Rikkos, Jos, for screening and documentation between January 10 and Jan. 23.
According to Mr Achema, the minister ordered the suspension of the exercise given the current and alarming second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic across the country.
“The agency is prepared to seek advice from the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 on the public health implications of such an exercise, especially as it relates to the adequacy and possibility of strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols.
“The screening team had been directed to suspend all actions and return to the National Headquarters, Abuja, immediately for further briefing.
“There shall be no prejudice against any candidate that tuned up for the screening or that failed to do so,” he said.
Support PREMIUM TIMES’ journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401…