The Governing Council of Federal University Gathua, Yobe State has approved the appointment of Professor Maimuna Waziri as the first female vice chancellor and the third Vice-Chancellor of the University, Yobe State.
Malam Ibrahim Akuyam said, “On behalf of the Governing Council of the University, I wish to formally convey the approval of Council for the appointment of Professor Maimuna Waziri as the 3rd Vice-Chancellor of the University”
While congratulating the new Vice-Chancellor, the Chairman called on her to ensure that she carries all the staff along
Professor Waziri succeeds the incumbent Vice-Chancellor, Professor Andrew Houma whose tenure will end on 10 February 2021.
Here are a few facts about Prof Maimuna Waziri
- Professor Maimuna Waziri is a Professor of Chemistry.
- Until her appointment, she was the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics)
- Professor Maimuna Waziri was the First Female Professor in FUGASHUA
- She is the second indigenous female Professor in the history of Yobe state.
- Born in 1966 at Gashua town in Bade local government area, Maimuna started her academic career at the University of Maiduguri as a Graduate Assistant in 1987 shortly after her graduation from Bayero University Kano, where she bagged her B.sc degree in Chemistry in 1986.
- She got her Master’s degree at University of Ibadan where she obtained M.sc degree in Physical Chemistry in 1990. She obtained her PhD degree in Analytical Chemistry from the University of Maiduguri, in 2006.
- She was a senior lecturer at University of Maiduguri
- She is a recipient of a number of awards which include; The Michael Collins Memorial Prize for the best 1st year Physical Chemistry student in BUK in 1984, the Michael Collins Memorial Prize for the best graduating Chemistry student in BUK in 1986, Who is Who in Science and Technical Education in Africa (1997) etc.