Breaking NewsInternational News

19 die after eating turtle in Madagascar


Ten adults and nine children have reportedly died  from food poisoning in Madagascar after eating a turtle, sources said Thursday.

Thirty-four people survived but were hospitalized on Monday in Vatomandry, in the east of the island, after eating the protected species, the Health and Food Safety Control Agency said.

Ten of them died, it said.

Another nine people, all of them children, died at home after eating meat from the same turtle, region’s governor said.

Health authorities have warned against eating turtles, as well as two dozen species of fish, which feed on algae that can be toxic during the November-March hot season.

AFP reports that dozens of food poisonings occur each year in coastal Madagascar and deaths are common.

Sixteen fatalities were recorded in two incidents in the 2017-18 hot season.

NPC Standing Committee strongly condemns US sanctions on Chinese officials over HK electoral reform

Previous article

Man stabs ex-girlfriend to death for having an affair with a 15-year-old boy

Next article

You may also like


Leave a Reply